"Cheese-eating surrender monkeys"

This is too much ado about a Simpsons reference.

because you know him and it is a joke between the two of you.

However, would you go into a thread where people were complaining about the casual labelling of french people as “surrender monkeys” because of the eactions of their countries military 50 years ago, and then start doing EXACTLY what the OP was complaining about?

Look, I’m not some ultra sensitive PC ass clown, I just see the constant bashing of France on these boards as a little unnecessary and the behaviour of some people in this thread to be a bit jerkish.

Spooje, Its not really the Simpsons reference, but the prevailent implication it has taken on.

Go ahead and call me that. Doesn’t really affect me. I look at it as a silly comment that has some connotations derived from historical perspectives that are based in truth. In fact, I would probably agree with it to an extent…Do you know how many McDonald’s there are in the former Soviet Union? We won! We Won!

If you hadn’t noticed, most jokes make fun of someone directly or indirectly. They make light of serious situations and often help in the process of recovering from them (I believe today is the anniversary of the Space Shuttle disaster…“No, I said Bud Light!”). But that is what they are…jokes.

But possibly the reason you are hearing more of it lately is because people are using it in the context of “history repeats itself.” The French are not really proving themselves to be much more than the surrender monkeys that people are accusing them of. They have opposed most everything we have done since 9/11. “You should OBSERVE the situation in Afganistan. PATROL the borders until you know more. ECONOMIC incentives for the Taliban should be considered before war.” and now with Iraq and their dreams of one day getting Saddam to finally understand their positions and come to a peaceful resolution…uhhh, no. It ain’t gonna happen. He has raised his many sons to pick-up where he left off and continue the old games he has always played. He and his ilk need to go buh-bye-bye…

So, my take on it is this: it is a stereotypical joke that hits a little too close to home. It is succinct and unfortunately all too accurate. When they prove themselves to be more than just sideline naysayers, THEN I will stop using it. Until then, if the shoe fits…

-Tcat

Christ on a crotch.

There is an enormous difference between surrender to an aggressor and a belief that all peaceful avenues should be explored before force is used, you fucking warmonger. No offense.

pan

So What? they are an independent country. Why should they blindly follow the US like lapdogs?

What, like The US did when it was the Mujahadeen?

Just like ol’ 41.

There are three times in my life when I’ve heard this phrase. One was on the Simpsons. The other two were in pit threads about the constant use of this phrase to bash the French.

Were it not for these threads, I would forgotton the phrase already.

Well, spooje, regardless of the use of the phrase or not, it certainly seems that the attitudes behind it are alive and well.

Goddamn unpleasant burger-eating jingoistic xenophobes. And I have an American aunt! And friend! So I can say that without fear of offense!

pan

spooje, its not the phrase, its the attitude.

Spooje, I know you read the boards more than that.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158885
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80072
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109397
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127125 (by lno again, in fact)
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63502 (hi lno!))

Unclench your sphincters and repeat after me: IT’S A FUCKING JOKE.
One of the funniest things about stereotypes is how ridiculous they are. That’s why they make such good jokes. Of course French people aren’t monkies that sit around eating cheese and waving white flags. Of course Swiss people don’t hump chocolate. Of course all Russians aren’t commie bastards. Saying those kinds of things paints a ridiculous picture in your head and makes you laugh.

Jesus christ, I think the fact that you people take this seriously says more about you then it does about the people making the jokes.

Any fool can learn to win graciously.

The true test of charactor is, can you lose and not hold a grudge ?

Can you lose and still not let it diminish your confidence and self-belief ?

Can you lose and still respect your enemies ?

Can you lose and realise you were wrong and your enemy was right to defeat you ?

The US has not lost much in its entire history, it has not been invaded or occupied for longer than anyone has been alive.

The last, and only,time it lost, the scar in it’s collective psyche still ran deep and still informs its military planning in a way that hog ties its military leaders, casualties and long drawn out conflicts are politically unacceptable, even if the cause is just.

America does not know how to lose, and lacks a sense of humility as a result.

Weren’t we invaded by the British in 1812?

Sorry, missed the ‘longer than anyone has been alive’ part. Forget I said anything.

The problem with your claims is that there’s no “Casual labelling” going on here. Nobody is “casually labeling” the French as “cheese-eating surrender monkeys” - it’s very obviously an over-the-top joke. There’s a very substantial difference between casual labelling and outright gags.

To use an example, consider the casual labelling French-Canadians have faced in Canada - “frogs” and, a few decades back, “papists” were common ones. Those were insidious terms that genuinely created a divide. No joke was meant.

I’ve never heard of anyone just casually use “cheese-eating surrender monkeys” in conversation. not on these boards and not in real life. Who the hell actually uses this long, convoluted phrase as a casual reference? What planet does that happen on?

BTW, I’m Canadian, and descended from Irish, German, and French stock. In other words, I’m a boring whitebread Canuck, and the French-German-Irish thing means I surrender to myself and then I drink to forget about it. So go right ahead and take your best shot.

Oh, I’m Catholic, too, that should be good for a few gags. Did you hear the one about the doctor, the lawyer, and the priest on a sinking ship?

There is a difference between a healthy amount of humility, and the current inferiority complex that certain Continentals have.

Of course it is, you smelly, unpleasant, burger-munching, jingoistic xenophobe!

Of course Americans are smelly and unpleasant and don’t sit around munching burgers. Apparently quite a few are rather jingoistic and xenophobic, mind.

Ho ho ho.

Let’s all march on with more racist humour shall we? Who’s got the jokes about black people?

personally I think that it says quite a lot about both. And I know which camp I’d rather be in.

But this is fun! Cisco doesn’t mind being called names! Who else wants a go?

Ya wife-beating, child-molesting skunk.

Of course you aren’t really a skunk! And you don’t really beat your wife or molest children!

But I’m going to call you it anyway. Because it’s funny!

pan

Sometimes people are just itching for a fight. Even a pathetic one, if that’s all they can find. This “fight” was pathetic.

Oh, and from a History Channel standpoint while we did save the French’s bacon twice, we still owed them for the American Revolution, and they gave that nifty statue in New York Harbor. And the basis for much of California’s first vineyards. So call it a push.

To the OP-- whooooooooooosh!

:rolleyes:

[footnote]* Of course Americans aren’t smelly and unpleasant.[/footnote]

Rather lost the effect there, what with that and the screwed up coding.

Ah well. At least I had fun with the name-calling.

pan

I think it would be interesting to see the reaction if this joke were used whenever the US is mentioned.