Cherry Picking Christmas Carols

I am trying to make my own Christmas CD. Sounds like fun, doesn’t it?

Only problem is everyone has sung every Christmas carol. So it’s taking me days to download and then listen to several versions of each carol to find one I like. I had not anticipated this and it’s frustrating me to no end.

My husband downloaded some for me but they are all painfully slow versions that sound like funeral marches. I am needing more upbeat carols but having a hell of a time finding them.

Then I came up with this idea, so tell me,

What’s your favorite (upbeatish) Christmas carol (or song)?

I can’t wait to hear your choices I give you my solemn vow I will listen to each and every one.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction. :smiley:

My favorite is the unabashedly cheesy “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24” by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It just makes me happy. It has a great story behind it, which makes me cry. Good balance, that.

My favorite is “Little Drummer Boy” and I think the best version is undoubtedly the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version.

It’s Christmas in Heaven,
The snow falls from the sky…
But it’s nice and warm and everyone
looks smart and wears a tie…

I really like GLAD’s “An Acapella Christmas” description of the group, list of albums, and a sample song from each album in RealAudio format here. They sing music (usually Christian music) in 5 part harmony, acapella, with interesting harmonies and rhythems.

Probably my favorites are “Glory to God” and “Joy to the World”–which does take a little getting used to–see interesting rhythms and harmonies.

I don’t like their “Voices of Christmas” CD nearly as much, and I don’t think it’s as upbeat (generally).

I shall direct you here.

For upbeat music, without words, I like some sections of the Nutcracker. Very energetic.