Chicago style: foreign plurals & "state"

I’ve been reading my Chicago style book very carefully, but have not been able to come up with the answers to a couple of questions. I’m hoping someone here might have had some experience with these –

(1) Plurals of foreign words, in particular currencies.

My instinct is that when a foreign word, in this case the name of a currency, is used in English, that its plural is formed as if it is an English word.

Example: 15,000 Nigerian nairas
The original I’m working with had it as 15,000 naira

The Chicago sections on plurals and foreign currencies don’t seem to address this, except that I found that the plural of euro is euros.

(2) Capitalization of “state” when used with the name of a state, but not as its official name. Here I’m talking about Nigerian states

Example: the states of Rivers, Bayelsa, and Delta; Delta state

The author has it as Delta State.

Any suggestions?

You would defer to the dictionary if the style manual doesn’t cover it. I’m not sure if Chicago Manual of Style recommends a particular dictionary, but American Heritage pluralizes “naira” as “naira” (no terminating “s”). Every other citation I could find on “naira” (including the CIA World Factbook, for instance) also pluralizes it this way.

The entirety of Delta State looks like a proper noun to me, and just quickly perusing the Internet, it seems that is the case. “Delta state” would look incorrect to me.

I took a quick look at my Merriam-Webster under “monetary units,” and it doesn’t seem to be consistent. Some use the English “-s” to pluralize. Some use the singular also as a plural (and not the native plural), and some use the native plural.

RE: 2

CMS 15[sup]th[/sup] 8.55 gives “the New England states” as an example. But how is the author using Nigerian and Delta states? Are they proper nouns? That is, “New England” refers to the region, and whether it is New England states, mountains, foliage, etc., only NE is the proper noun. But you also have the Caribbean Community and the League of Arab States, all capitalized as proper nouns.
is the whole passel of states being referred to as a specific entity, or a group of entities in a particular region?

I think this is one of the more interesting bits of editing… there are the follow-the-rules edits, then there are the what-am-I-trying-to-say edits.

missed edit window… just wanted to quickly add:

If it helps at all, the UN style guide I use most often says:

I take that to imply that if the Nigerian and Delta S/states have come together to form a political entity (e.g., Small Island Developing States, Organization of American States) then capitalize away!

The situation is that Nigeria is subdivided into entities called “states,” just like the United States is. (I don’t know whether they are considered sovereign entities like the U.S. states are, but that’s beside the point, I guess.)

“Bayelsa,” “Rivers,” and “Delta” are names of three of these subdivisions. The document always refers to them with the word state, because, I suppose common words like “Rivers” and “Delta,” especially when you’re talking about a delta region with a lot of rivers, might be a bit confusing.

So it’s always “in Rivers State,” “in Delta State,” etc. But unless the official name of the entity is actually “Rivers State,” my instinct is to go with “Rivers state.”

This currency site doesn’t answer the OP directly but instead discusses the difficulties in achieving uniformity vis-a-vis Singular vs. Plural Form across various languages.

Third paragraph from the end.

That’s a very interesting reference, Chez.

I wonder why Chicago neglects to mention this issue.

Most peculiar, since in the one English-speaking country which uses the euro, the plural is “euro”. I.e., in Ireland, a price might be quoted as “only five euro”, or some such.

Well, the link that Chez supplied says that the European Commission’s guideline says that the “natural” rules of whatever language you’re using should guide you in deciding what the plural for “euro” is and that in English and Spanish, “euros” gained acceptance quickly.

Can I complain about Chicago’s paragraph numbering style? I keep looking for 9.25 to be between 9.2 and 9.3. Whose bright idea was it to use what looks exactly like a decimal point to designate subsections?

My instinct would be “the state of Rivers,” but “Rivers State.” The best I could find is that the University of Chicago Press itself capitalized “State” in this synopsis of one of their books.