Chicagoans - shh!- don't tell the others!

How about some place in a neighborhood? Lincoln Park is OK, but it’s a little bland and, for those who need to park a car, not convenient.

Some suggestions: Augenblick on North Damen, Hopleaf on North Clark, or Ten Cat on North Ashland.

Temujin - I was going to hold off on any final decisions about where until we got the when nailed down. So far the 21st is looking good, and now that Jophiel has, ahh, advertised it in my “Single People” thread, I’m sure we’ll get a lot more interest.

I still want answers from everybody about the 21st, though! Nag nag nag nag nag. This is turning me into my mom.

Definitely OK on the 21st. Late Afternoon/Early Evening works best for me. I can find my way to Lincoln Park, that’s what maps are for.

Reality is for people who can’t handle drugs.

-Tom Waits

Okay by me.

21st is good.

Sucks to your assmar.

The 21st is fine by me—I think. It’s my Dad’s birthday, but I think we’re celebrating on the 20th. I’ll do my best to make it either way.
I agree about the parking situation in Lincoln Park. Anybody have a better idea?

Don’t get me wrong–I love life. I’m just finding it harder and harder to keep myself amused.

The Bird’s Nest is on Southport, which is actually west of Lincoln Park. While parking won’t be easy, it can be found with a little effort there, unlike the heart of Lincoln Park, where parking can be nearly impossible.

Actually, there’s a funeral home parking lot kitty corner to the Birds Nest, and they allow Bird’s Nest customers to park there. I’ve never had trouble finding a spot.

I can’t believe I haven’t looked at this thread yet. I’d like to come, also. 11/21 sounds O.K. for me, although my sister’s birthday is the next day, so I don’t know yet if we’re going to celebrate it on the 21st. The Bird’s Nest sounds fine to me. It’s only 5 blocks from my apartment :slight_smile:

Worried about asking that girl out? Remember, he who hesitates masturbates.

Sorry, sorry folks, for my tardiness. Well, as expected, work has totally blown up in face again.
Unfortunately (mild way of saying I’m cussing and snivelling w/ disappointment), the 21st won’t work for me. I thought I’d get the crisis out of the way before then, but no…the particular crisis is scheduled to happened the next day. (Natch. Of course. Just when there was something I wanted to do. Whine. Pout.)

Many apologies. I would have loved meeting all of you. You all are so danged interesting and fun here, it would have been great meeting you WITH some refreshing beverages, and WITHOUT all this typing.

Could I reserves a spot at the next Chicago (Home of the Dopers) Conclave?

Veb

TV,

Extreme bummer. I’ve very much enjoyed your posts and am unhappy that you can’t make this one. Only Yaweh knows how this will turn out, but, should it prove to be an enjoyable thing and worthy of an encore, I’d certainly hope that you could make the next one.

SoxFan59, are you going to try to make it? You seem to be relatively sane, other than your inexplicable loyalty to “that other team” :). We could, at least, revile the Yankees together.

-Tom Waits

I’m free whenever, and I live just over the Wisconsin border, so the northern suburbs are easiest for me, but I can get anywhere on the weekend.

I’m pretty sure that the 21st should be okay for me to make it.

Just email me directions and let me know the time.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to put the cart before the horse.

When it’s time to decide on a location, my preference would be someplace where parking is not an issue, and where the atmosphere is relaxed and inviting.

I haven’t been to the Bird’s Nest, but I’d be willing to give it a try.

TV, we’d like to have you there. Even if you can’t make it a late night it may still be reasonable to make a short appearance. Don’t give in so easily! :smiley:

Yeah TV… don’t give up yet. We’ll stay up and keep a light going for ya even if you can only drop in for a little while. Or, as it’s been said, this will hopefully be fun enough for a Chicago-Meeting v2.0

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Let’s remember that Veb lives 3-4 hours drive from Chicago. It’s probably a little unrealistic to expect her to cover that for a quickie “drop-in”, knowing that she has to deal with unpleasantness Monday morning. Let’s concentrate on trying to make this an event that warrants an encore, so that she can join us for Round II.

Val, we seem to have agreement on the date, but there is no consensus on the place. Should we devise a way to conduct a vote?

-Tom Waits

Yep, I think it’s about time.

Alrighty, like I said before, I’m down w/ the Bird’s Nest. However, I’m open to other places, and I sure don’t want to overlook someplace just 'cause I haven’t been there yet. And since we’re doing this on a Sunday we have a lot more leeway.

So we need a place with a)enough room for all of us b)pool tables, and other shiny things to distract Omni in case we bore him :wink: c) hooch d)parking seems to be a high priority as well.

So, suggestions,votes, whatever?

Ten Cat on North Ashland has pool tables, beer, easy street parking, and enough room inside.

I’m also open to the Bird’s Nest.

I’m open to anything with shiny stuff, or flashing lights as long as its downtown. Sorry guys, I just can’t get excited about the burbs. Birds Nest sounds fine, but I haven’t been there to sample the toys, Sheffield’s is one of my favorite haunts, and is a beer snob’s dream. I already voiced a enjoyment of John Barleycorns too. Keep me posted.