Chili in a can: have you ever used it for anything but hot dogs?

stag has the biggest rancid ass factor of any chili on the planet, My room mate is forbidden to eat that crap because he can fumigate the entire place after a single can.

but yeah chili in a can works when you just need something tasty, I havent had any in a few years thanks to diet issues but I keep home made in the freezer to make up for it.

Hormel Chili NO beans - just meat product sauce:

1. On a dog
  2. On a burger
  3. Mixed with nacho cheeze whiz for white trash dipping goodness
  4. Frito Pie (on top of a bag of fritos, with cheddar on top of that - more nitrates than ever!)
  5. Mixed with rice on a campout

Thirding the chili mac. That’s pretty much the ultimate in cold-weather comfort food. Slosh in about a half a bottle of Crystal Hot Sauce, maybe add a little extra cheese if there’s some around, and it’s perfection in a bowl. (And your stomach won’t be right for days, but there’s always a sacrifice.)

My husband does all the time. I HATE chili - I can hardly stand the smell of it - so I don’t make it for him, and he doesn’t make it from scratch. He’ll take some steak, cut it up, fry it up (or whatever he does with it) add it to a couple cans of Hormel, sometimes he adds more beans, sometimes not, sometimes he adds that McCormick seasoning bags of stuff, and frankly, everyone who eats it RAVES about it. He won a chili cook off at my old work one year.

I use canned chili as cologne. Drives the ladies crazy.

I once poured some chili in a can over a box of pierogies, sprinkled it with cheese and baked it for a while. It was pretty good, although not so good that I’ve done it again since then.

I’ve also eatedn chili in a can as chili a couple of times when feeling lazy. Cooking chili from the raw ingredients isn’t hard, but I end up with an enormous batch–too much for just me.

I’d imagine a little chili powder on your pits would keep you fresh all day long too.

I cut up one whole dried habañero into a can of Hormel’s “No Beans” chili and serve it with either Annie’s shells or basmati rice.

Admittedly, I also do often broil a couple of dogs and dump beforementioned concoction on top of 'em, but rice or mac-n-cheese as described works well, too.

Wow, you got sinus trouble or what?

I dribble a bit of Blair’s Mega Death onto my bacon egg & cheddar on a roll every morning, too.

:smiley:

My hat’s off to you, sir. Do you know how many scoville units that is? I have a bottle of Dave’s Private Reserve, which is around 750,000 IIRC, but it only comes out when I’m feeling really masochistic.

The chili that I make for straight eatin’ is very chunky and hearty. Hot dog chili has a much finer grain and is a little greasier. I don’t eat hot dog chili by itself. It’s rather more of a condiment.

Last week in the “go-to convenience food” thread I had this to say. There are some links in there or I would just copy the few remarks and not link to them.

The canned chili is no real substitute for the full treatment type, but the time savings are appreciable. Sometimes that takes precedence.

We prefer the No Bean variety, FWIW.

It also makes a very good omelet filling, particularly with cheese on top.

I use it when I make a chili size.

Yeah, that Carroll Shelby stuff is pretty good. Haven’t tried the Wick Fowler, but according to my chili cookbook both of them are big names in the chili competition scene.

As for me, when I tire of rubbing myself in canned chili, I have my own recipe that I’ve posted here before. I’d link to it but I’m lazy.

Hell, I’ve even eaten Hormel’s canned tamales. I have no shame.

I’ve eaten their chili from the can, but mostly I use it for dip – chili, Velveeta, salsa, and ground beef – or I dump a can into my homemade chili if I want thicker chili.

Yeah, I’ve scarfed those down plenty of times. But only when I’m home alone. I am not kidding. Those things are disgusting and shameful and trashy and delicious at the same time. I love 'em.

Until I was in high school, owing to my mother’s lack of a spirit of adventure when it came to cooking, Hormel’s canned tamales were our version of “Mexican food” with occasional Fritos to authenticate.

It was after a school “field trip” for the Spanish club when we went to the local Mexican restaurant (way long before Taco Bell had been hatched as an idea) and had tacos and frijoles and all sorts of things I had never even heard of, that I suddenly realized that there was more to Mexican cooking than canned tamales.

But damned if I’m not hungry for some right now!

I was in college before I ever had a real steak! Once somebody starts a thread on steaks and the journey from half-pound-of-ground-round, through sirloin, through ribeye, to filet mignon, I will add more extraneous data about my repressed childhood and teen years when it comes to food.

Canned tamales are part of our “camping food” kit. Nestle the can in the coals of the campfire until they are more than cold and scarf down with cheap canned beer.

I’ve discovered that you can really perk up canned chili by not only adding more chilis, but by adding a small amount (1/8 tsp. or so) of mustard powder.