Chili-size and Chili-mac a thing where you live?

What kind of chili is that? Texas? Cincinnati?

Seems to me it has no beans.

Copycat Tommy’s chili recipe

Makes a good Wienerschnitzel chili-cheese dog too.

What’s “leftover chili”?

Heh. That’s WAAAAAAAY too thick to be Cincinnati chili. We have a…um, “special” relationship with chili here. There’s not much in between, you generally either love it or hate it. I love it on cheese coneys, much less so over spaghetti with a mountain of flavorless finely shredded mild cheddar cheese turning into a gloppy continent on your 3, 4 or 5-way.

I’ve always preferred thicker chili over ones with lots of broth. No matter which recipe I use, I always make it with the consistency shown in the photo.

If I’m served soupy chili, I’ll crumble a lot of crackers into it to absorb the liquid. If I’m ladling it over pasta, I want it thick enough to cling to the noodles.

So a chili size is a hamburger sandwich with chili? I’d rather skip the hamburger patty and have it sloppy-joe style.

No, a chili size isn’t a ‘sandwich’ like a sloppy joe is. It’s an open-faced ‘sandwich’. That is: Toasted bottom bun with a burger patty on top. Top bun cut in half, with each half flanking the bun with the patty. Chili all over everything (plus cheese and chopped onions). This is a chili size (though the chili is wrong). This is a chili burger, which is what it seems you are asking about.

Chili Mac, the connoisseur’s choice in MREs. It was the most appealing/semi-digestible option in the original issue of the 16 serving MRE box.

It doesn’t seem like a significant distinction to me. A slightly messed up chili burger. The chances are that your chili burger is going to end up in that chaotic state after one or two bites anyway.

My point is that if I’m going to have chili on a bun, I’d prefer to skip the hamburger patty.

The chili size used to be pretty common here in NE at diners and lunch counters but I haven’t seen one listed on a menu for years.

Our family recipe for chili mac is called, for some reason unknown to me, Spanish Hamburger. It is chili meat, bell peppers, onion, garlic, Williams chili seasoning, cumin, basil, tomato juice and pasta (usually shell macaroni.)

Your loss. :slight_smile: I can’t recall ever eating a chili burger as defined here: A small amount of chili such that you can still eat the item by hand. If I were served such I would feel a bit cheated of chili.

My personal recipe for Chili Mac foregoes the chili completely and uses hamburger and jarred chili sauce instead. Whole different palate.

Well, to me the distinction is significant, in that one I can eat with my hands and just the packaging it comes in, while the other is a sit-down diner meal requiring knife and fork. Like the difference between, I dunno, an open-faced hot beef sandwich you’d get at a diner and just a regular hot roast beef sandwich.

Like this is what I think of when I think of chili cheeseburger. That’s one from Weinerschnitzel, and the guy is eating it in his car. You can’t do that with what I understand a chili size to be.

That said, it seems that “chili cheeseburger” in parts of the country refers to a diner meal that is equivalent to a “chili size,” requiring the use of knife and fork, if I am understanding the comments correctly.

I tried that chili size thing in my kitchen just last night. Broiled burger patty, real Texas chili (spicy as heck and NO BEANS DAMMIT) and a whole-wheat bun. Food of the gods, lemme tell ya’.

Well, not necessarily 'wrong". One other big difference is that a chili-size * could* have chili with beans, while a chili-burger NEVER has beans in the chili.

Could. Shouldn’t.

They call tommys chili style “chili sauce” these days

heh when I was broke you could get tommys chili in a cup for a buck fifty ….People thought I was nuts …. there like … ummm aren’t you missing the burger part ?
but normally its not meant to be eaten alone ……

I just noticed that you linked a restaurant (for the chili size) that is all of 4 blocks from my house. I never knew they had a size on the menu, as I usually eat there for breakfast. Time for a lunch stop. I’ll report back on the chili.

Ha! I just chose a random photo from a google search!