Chip and Dale: The Motion Picture

Have you ever caught yourself thinking that you would love to see a movie showing what Chip and Dale are up to all these years after Rescue Rangers, except that this time it should include Roger Rabbit, Paula Abdul, and Fluttershy? Well, your breathless countdown to May 20th starts now!

Seth Rogan as Gimli?

Pretty sure it’s reference to the terrible Beowulf movie.

When I first heard there was a Rescue Rangers thing going on I thought it would be like the recent DuckTales cartoon (which was excellent!) I had NO idea it would be this!!

I think I will watch it. I bet it will be funny.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Gadget to make her more “edgy.”

Perhaps it will win converts to her cult.

It looks a little too meta for my tastes, but it’s an interesting idea.

Pfffft. Now, give me a motion picture with the Goofy Gophers and we’ve got something.

I’m wondering if this is a world where Maroon Cartoons is a series of shorts, or if Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a movie.

It just feels to me like they’re using Chip and Dale not because of who they are, but as an excuse for a different type of plot. I would prefer actually using the characters and telling a story about them—even if it is in this meta way.

I also hate the voices. I don’t need them to sound like either the shorts or the cartoon show, but they seem hard to distinguish, sounding just like normal people and don’t really fit the personalities of the characters.

I get hiring famous names to do the voice acting, to draw people in. But they could have at least done a voice or pitched them up a bit. That also leads me to believe that the characters actually being Chip and Dale was not all that important to the concept. It seems like it was actually designed to be a Roger Rabbit sequel.

So I find myself not looking forward to the movie, but also hoping that it catches on enough to get a new series, where the backstory is just that they have their own new series (but the meta isn’t acknowledged).

This is my thought too. Have at it, but not for me, thanks.

Conversely, I couldn’t care less about Chip & Dale as individual characters so the meta/Easter Egg/4th wall stuff is the only reason I’d be interested in watching it.

Well you see, when they were asked, they told Disney “Oh, you first!” Indubitably!

I’m with the anti-meta crowd. I’m not against all 4th wall breaking, but a whole movie of it seems like it would get tiresome. The Beowulf CG thing was almost funny, but even in a trailer they stretched out the one joke for too long. Better writing could have packed three jokes in there.

Chip just sounds like “that guy with the ‘What’s New Pussycat?’ joke that I’ve heard a million times” (yes, I know). Some popular voice actors can seemingly blend in, so even though I’ve heard them elsewhere, it doesn’t take me out of the movie. John Mulaney… doesn’t accomplish that.

Making this a stealth sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be pretty funny, but I’m not holding my breath.

Discussion thread on Movie is here: