Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers film on Disney+ (OPEN SPOILERS AFTER FIRST POST)

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, the film, dropped as a Disney+ exclusive today. Anyone else see this? (This post kept deliberately short to avoid roll-over spoilers).

The film has a lot of references to pop culture, both common and obscure, and I thought it was very funny. I kinda figured that Ellie wasn’t the mole, though, because Disney would want to avoid the Unfortunate Implications of making the Black woman the bad guy.

Earlier thread on the trailer

If you liked Who Framed Roger Rabbit you’d enjoy it. Usually I’m looking at my phone while watching TV shows, but I had to put my phone down just so I didn’t miss anything. Although I wish they had Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse show up somehow at the end like in WFRR.

I’d be very interested to see how Disney got the rights to use Dreamworks characters such as B.O.B. from Monsters vs. Aliens, and Shrek, along with characters like Ugly Sonic and Tigra. (Or is Tigra a Marvel character?)

It was better than I thought it might be based on the trailer.

Watching it now. Cute, but not all that incredible.

I don’t know what companies own what at this point. When Roger Rabbit came out, I was 11 and saw it in the theater and we knew that two massive companies were agreeing to be in the same movie. Now, I see references, but have no idea who actually owns anything.

Ugly Sonic was a great reference, though.

It was more entertaining than I expected. Fun couple of hours.

Yes, she’s Marvel. Though when I first heard that name was going to be in it, I thought it was going to be the Thundercats character.

The Thundercats character is spelled Tygra.

You may now beat me up and steal my lunch money.

For extra credit and without looking: what was the name of Mumm-Ra’s pet (who he dearly loved-it was kinda sweet to see)?

Oh, shoot, I’m not sure, although I remember the character. It was something like Mumm-Pup, or Pup-Ra, or something in that area, wasn’t it?

Maa-Mutt!

I just watched it. Gave it a 9 on IMDB. Fantastically fun movie to take the edge off what has been a shitty few weeks in the world. At least for a 43 year old who watched Disney Afternoons.

I really enjoyed it. Very self-knowing and the good kind of meta, plus I loved some of the cameos (My favourite was probably Senator Butthead).

Ugly Sonic was absolutely inspired too, and John Mulraney and Andy Samberg were great choices for the lead characters.

I almost didn’t watch bc everybody kept saying “the Easter eggs! The Easter eggs!” And I thought, well I never watched RR, so what’s the point?

Well, I’m sure there’s Easter eggs I did miss. But they’re a LOT of them that had nothing to do with the show. Which I did enjoy. Really great nostalgic fun.