Chitlins

Yep. Just 'cause it’s “common knowledge” or popular folklore doesn’t make it true.

Remember when Scarlet returns to Tara in Gone With the Wind, eats a horse radish and vomits?
In the devastation of Sherman’s March to the Sea, people ate fucking dirt. They observed what slaves had eaten, chitterlings, poke salad, turnip greens. Some of these foods remained popular. I prefer my mustard greens briefly steamed until bright green for example, or stir fried with garlic in olive oil.

One of my history teachers suggested the study of Southern restaurant menus before 1862 to see if such items were eaten only after the Civil War. That would be interesting.

I eat chitlins, normally as a special occasion as it takes a day or two to prepare them correctly. The last time was New Years Eve. I helped clean and cook them and we started with 60lbs which willl leave about 60% of that when cleaned properly. They should then be boiled with onions and garlic and seasoning and should be cooked until fork tender, that is, you should be able to break them with a fork. Roughly between 4-6 hours depending on your cookware and other variables. When done properly they shouldn’t be chewy and should nearly melt in your mouth. Serve with your best hot sauce. In addition to the chitlins we also had black eye peas, rice, greens (mix of turnip, collard and mustard in equal measure with th turnip sliced into them, cooked with salt pork*) and corn bread.
I’ve also eaten tripe which I prepare similar to chitlins sans all the cleaning. They taste very similar but tripe and like chiltlins shouldn’t be rushed.

If you haven’t had good chitlins, maybe they weren’t made correctly. Chitlins are one of those things like a Chilli or BBQ, a labor of love, but even moreso. Don’t attempt unless you plan to put in the time and do it right.

• Properly preparing salt pork is another story.