Choo-choos of Thought

Post a quote about trains from fiction. Next poster has to ID where it’s from and then posts their own, ad nauseam. Let’s begin:

“You better do something you idiot, because in ten minutes; you’re going to have 200 tons of locomotive smashing into Central Station on its way to Marshall Fields!”

From ‘Silver Streak’ (1976), with Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, and Jill Clayburgh

“The thing about trains… it doesn’t matter where they’re going. What matters is deciding to get on.”

-“BB”-

Polar Express.

I choo choo choose you.

The Simpsons

Pardon me boy, is that the Chattanooga choo choo?

Popular song by Glenn Miller

Pardon me, boy, is that the Transylvania choo-choo?

Young Frankenstein

Oh, come on. If I’ve got to watch my language just because they let a few broads in, I’m going to quit. How the hell can you run a goddamn railroad without swearing?

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

The green-blue rails ran to meet them, like two jets shot out of a single point beyond the curve of the earth. The crossties melted, as they approached, into a smooth stream rolling down under the wheels.

Atlas Shrugged

The train pulled up at a small wayside station and we all descended. Outside, beyond the low, white fence, a wagonette with a pair of cobs was waiting. Our coming was evidently a great event, for station-master and porters clustered round us to carry out our luggage.

Hound of the Baskervilles

She’s gaining speed real fast. She’ll hit your territory in no time. Her brakes are burning up.

Runaway Train

It seemed wonderful to him that any one should perform with such careless ease the difficult task of making tea in public in a lurching train.

The House of Mirth

Well, I suppose if you had a straight stretch of track with a level grade, and you weren’t haulin’ no cars behind you, and if you can get the fire hot enough, and I’m talkin’ about hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself… then yes, it might be possible to get her up that fast.

Back to the Future, Part III

You know that if it were my money, there is nobody that I would rather have steal it than you. But, you see, I am still in the employment of E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad!

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

…more powerful than a locomotive…

Superman introduction

If you missed the train I’m on
You will know that I am gone
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles

500 Miles (Away From Home)

“Blaine is a pain, and that is the truth”

The Waste Lands

So we got into the train — that’s a kind of thing people travel in in our world: a lot of wagons chained together —

Chronicles of Narnia: Last Battle*

All along the southbound odyssey, the train pulls out at Kankakee.

*(I had to cheat to find it; good choice.)

I know the song, but didn’t know it was quoted in a movie. Used as background music, sure.

Just for the record, Amtrak still operates trains #58 (northbound) and #59 (southbound) under the name “The City of New Orleans”, and back in the day when Amtrak was still running their ‘hand-me-down’ equipment from the various railroads (the 1960s-vintage coaches, roomette cars, Vista-Domes, and specifically-designed rear-end observation cars that were eventually replaced by Amfleet and Superliner double-deck cars), I rode it from Chicago to New Orleans.

-“BB”-

I deliberately didn’t specify the medium so we could use movies, TV, songs, books of all stripes. The post doesn’t even have to have “train” in it. Just about anything goes!

You were the “babe asleep,” huh? :wink:

BTW, I was going to call the thread “Trains of Thought,” (of course) but the software wouldn’t let me. Is this any way to run a railroad? :laughing:

Bicycle_Bill, want to give us a clue to unravel?

Train whistle blowing makes a sleepy noise
Underneath their blankets go all the girls and boys