Christmas carol lyrics we questioned as kids

As kids, we would sing Christmas carols without having a clue of what the words meant. It was a long time before I found out what a “round yon virgin” or a “door hymn” was. And where was “Orientare”, where three kings came from? Who was “Good King Wences”? I always thought he was related to “Senor Wences” - the ventriloquist who appeared regularly on “Ed Sullivan”. Why would a baby want to be kept awake by a “little drummer boy”? What are “tidings of comfort and joy”? What is “gay apparel”? And so on…

Others?

I still have questions about what constitutes “no blarney” to be given - the likes you’ve never known. "Hey, could ya give me some of that no blarney? You mean you’re telling me the truth? And you presume I’ve never known the likes of such truth.

I still don’t know if it’s “Up on the rooftop, reindeer paws” or “Up on the rooftop, reindeer pause.”

I always insisted as a kid that it should be “hooves”.

Who, exactly, is Don Wenow? The head of the Wenow crime syndicate family?

And why would God want to make “merry gentlemen” rest? Too much partying? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking:

Lo, he abhors not the virgin’s womb? Why would someone hate a virgin’s womb, let alone a little baby?

And what did trolls have to do with ancient yuletide carols?

Should I even bring up that Lang Syne that is, apparently, pretty Auld?

mmm

And, who is Round John Virgin?

He’s a clothing designer, specializing in gay apparel, of course!

If the men are “merry.” how can they be dismayed? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If the Three Kings “from Orient are,” does that mean they’re Chinese? Or is “Orien-Tar” a different place altogether? :thinking:

I wondered what “Orient Are” was, but I don’t think I thought it was a place.

A fat Swedish guy? :thinking:

This should address your question.

Why is Gloria “in eggshell seas”? Also, were the songwriters trying to capitalize on Harry Belafone’s success when they stuck an extraneous “day-o” at the end of the line?

Rudolf will go down in whose story?

If we already KNOW Dancer and Prancer and Donner and Vixen, why are we asked if we RECALL the MOST FAMOUS reindeer of all?

They could’ve used any other word other than “famous” but they picked the only lyric that totally destroyed the premise of the song.

Santa Claus was coming to town to bring us lots of toys like little tin horns and little toy drums. But I could never figure out what “elephant’s boats” were.

And Olive, the other reindeer, was sure mean for laughing at him and calling him names.