Cinematic clowning around

See post #5

Lear’s Fool appears in a lot more adaptations than the ones you mentioned, including movies and TV productions of the play itself.

An episode in the final season of “Barney Miller” features Bingo the Clown, mugging victim. He wants nothing more than to spread joy.

The Heckler. He looks s bit like a clown and his main power is heckling the villains.

Skelton also starred inThe Clown (1953) as Dodo the Clown, who is sympathetic if tragic.

Danny Kaye, The Court Jester.

Should we include Shakes the Clown?

In the TV show Circus Boy (1956-1958), Noah Beery Jr. played the title character’s foster father, “Uncle” Joey the Clown. (The boy was played by Mickey Dolenz, later drummer for The Monkees).

On “Modern Family,” Cam has appeared several times as Fizbo the Clown, sometimes in a way that is heroic.

Bozo the Clown was always the protagonist in the cartoons.

Kikuchiyo in Seven Samurai.

He ends up heroically killing the bandit leader before dying himself.

Yes, he does. But it’s the same character.

Darn you, 'brows, you stole mine!So I’ll offer Chuckles the Clown from The Mary Tyler Moore show.

A little song, a little dance
A little seltzer in your pants

Darn you, 'brows, you stole mine!So I’ll offer Chuckles the Clown from The Mary Tyler Moore show.

A little song, a little dance
A little seltzer in your pants

The Day The Clown Cried, Jerry Lewis lost and infamous movie where he plays a clown who tries to cheer children as he leads them to the gas chamber.

Great choice! I’ve loved that one ever since I was a kid.
Here’s another one. It was panned by critics, but I loved it.
Gigot starring Jackie Gleason.

But not an example of the character appearing in movies or TV, which is what the thread is about.

Kikuchiyo is sometimes clownish, but he is not a clown by any normal definition. If you’re going to include comic-relief characters who are also heroic at times you might as well include Gimli from the Lord of the Rings movies.

The Fool, from Terry Pratchett’s Wyrd Sisters.

1. By “clown” I mean an actual face-painted clown-clothed clown, not just someone who acts silly.
  2. Some of you really need to tighten up on your definition of “good guy/heroic”. :smiley: