City (or town or whatever) Building Games

I am kind of itching to play a City building game. It doesn’t have to be a city, it could be a town or outpost or Kingdom etc. I want something modern but I don’t have the patience anymore for the overly complex. I mostly just want to build something and watch it grow.

Some games from back in the day that I loved in this genre were Sim City 2000, Roller Coaster Tycoon and Majesty.

What are some suggestions of games I should look at? Thanks.

A similar Reddit thread brought this up:

Watch your city grow organically

No rigid grid. Your city develops naturally, expanding through districts shaped by your choices and your citizens. No two playthroughs look the same.

How modern does it have to be? Locomotion is over 20 years old but it uses the same engine as RCT, recently hit Steam, and is currently on sale for less than a buck.