Cleveland Fucking Sports

Jesus Christ, sometimes it’s almost painful being a fan of professional sports teams from Cleveland. You have to be some kind of masochist. It’s like the sports Gods line up with big grins on their faces waiting for the opportunity to fuck Cleveland fans up the ass.

The Browns, after a somewhat promising start to the season, are now at 2-5-1 and have fired their Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

The Cavs are sitting at 1-7 and have already fired their Head Coach.

And now the final thing that sparked this thread, apparently the Indians are looking to trade off some of their veterans, including Corey Kluber.

I suppose I should be happy that at least the Cavs (actually Lebron James) won a championship and the Indians were good for a few years.

Does any other city suffer as much misery as Cleveland?

I’ve known other people who switch their favorite teams with whoever is good at the time. I just can’t do that. It’s Cleveland or bust for me. It’s like a incurable chronic disease.

Oh well. I just needed to rant for a bit. Thanks for listening.

I think we need to get ourselves a hockey team. Detroit is a pretty trash place when it comes to sports a lot of the time, but the Red Wings always seem to pick up the slack then the Tigers, Pistons and Lions aren’t running hot.

I feel you on “Cleveland or bust” tho. I can’t believe I watch the Browns every Sunday. EVERY Sunday. Like if I don’t, they’ll be taken away again. It’s a disease.

Try barracking for St Kildain the AFL (Aus Footy League). Started in 1873, won their first premiership in 1966 (by one single point) and nada since then.

You can tell me about your depression then…

Hey there’s lots of promise for new Browns interim coach Gregg Williams.

Getting paid for fucking would almost make me want to move to Cleveland.

Almost.

That’s a great idea – Pittsburgh could really use another team to beat the crap out of. :smiley:

They should rename the Browns, Steamers.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Cleveland’s top 4 starters are one of the best rotations in the game. It’s also relatively cheap. In Lindor and Ramirez, they have two of the most exciting young talents as well. The window to win a championship is still wide open. The bullpen needs retooling, plus a little more tinkering here and there, and that’s it.

Sure, they’ll listen on Kluber or Carrasco if another team literally wants to give up the farm. If a monster package included a young stud starter, they might part with one of their own, but that’s true of a lot of teams.

Are the owners assholes? The payroll seems too low to cry poverty and they would have to be crazy to blow that team up. I can see them moving Encarnacion for salary relief but not much else.

Sunno. Maybe Cleveland is jinxed by idiot team ownershiop.

Were it not for Cleveland Sports, I would be in the exact same boat Cleveland Sports is in.

Thank you, Cleveland Sports.

With appreciation,

Atlanta Sports

Looks like the fans are part of the problem. The Indians spend money, field championship caliber teams and not enough people turn up.

Indians’ payroll/attendance ranking

2012 $68.9m/29th
2013 $89M/28th
2014 $84m/29th
2015 $87m/29th
2016 $118m/28th
2017 $151m/22nd
2018 $150m/21st

How soon we forget the Lake Erie Monsters.

Cleveland has a hockey team (the Monsters) and they’re pretty good. Problem is, no one cares now since it’s AHL. I’m old enough to remember when AHL hockey was actually pretty popular there (the Barons, from long before I was born until the early 70s. It was all downhill after that).

Moved to game room.

I went to Game 7 in 2016. The tickets were insanely cheap and the Indians fans were leaving early. So yeah, I’d say there’s some blame to be shared.

Of course to be fair the Cleveland Metro area ranks 29th in population as well. It beats only Milwaukee.

There’s two problems with that:

When you include Akron and Canton, Cleveland is the 16th biggest market, and

The Indians sold out 455 consecutive games from 1995 to 2001. They were averaging over 42,000 fans every home game. They have won the division the past three seasons and yet they only averaged 23,000 per game. What’s up, Cleveland?

It’s not just Cleveland. MLB attendance has apparently been dropping since 2012. A combination of ever-increasing ticket prices, longer games, and less offense, can’t be helping the situation.

Also, those years you cite were among the first few years at Jacobs Field (now Progressive Field). I think it’s pretty common for MLB teams to draw pretty well for the first few years at a new (or newly-renovated) stadium, which then tapers off once the newness wears off.

Whatever is going on in Cleveland isn’t just reflecting the few percentage point dips league wide. Take a look at these numbers:

The first two years of Jacob’s Field weren’t sell outs. The Indians started winning and attendance went way above league average all the way through 2002. It was above average again in 2007, another first place finish. Now they’ve been first for three years and crickets.

I think one answer is that the Browns didn’t return to Cleveland until 1999 and the Cavaliers were truly horrible in those days. Since then those teams have sucked up a lot of the sports dollar spending in th Cleveland area