Cloth diapering?

I bought $400 (36 diapers, some prefolds, and covers) worth of cloth diapers with my first daughter. They were an adjustable style that you could button different ways to make different sizes. I LOVED them. I used a plastic hamper as a diaper bucket and washed them about every 3 days. I put them in the sun to dry and the sun has the added bonus of getting rid of any stains.

To wash, I ran a “rinse only” first, then a hot wash.

Both my kids toilet trained really easily between 2 and 2 1/2. My second daughter actually trained herself. I totally credit the diapers, because the kids can feel when they are wet. None of this namby-pamby feel-dry technology.

When they were toddlers, I did put an extra prefold in the diaper at night for extra absorbancy, and I don’t recall that leaking was ever an issue.

$400 to completely diaper 2 kiddos, and when I was done, I sold them for about $4 each.

We did cloth diapers using a service for our first and I think starting with our second as well. When we flew back home during Christmas time, we always used disposables during the trip, and they were easier. Eventually we just stopped using the service. The disposables did work better than cloth + plastic cover.

Might work on mothers who also have their first kid. Parents on kid 2 or higher will just smug “oh, it must be your first.” right back at you.

We used a diaper service for our first. We were in an apartment and had an illegal apartment sized washer, so there was no way we could wash all those diapers. Eventually you get leaks even with two diapers, and then we went to disposables.

As for diapers being cute, just you wait. After your thirtieth of so in one day, the cuteness diminishes quite a bit.

This is why we used disposables, take it off, wipe the area, pop on a new one. Done, cleaned and dusted in a couple of minutes.

There are far more important things than washing nappies.

Have you tried adding a cup of white vinegar to the wash? It helps get rid of the smell of cat pee if your cat punishes you, so I imagine it’d work as well for other ammonia smells too. Sites recommend it for other reasons (like softening the diapers and restoring PH) so it seems okay for babies’ belongings.

We did cloth diapers with our son. Started out with pre-folds when he was a newborn and then switched to bumGenius when he got a little bigger. Except for traveling (where hauling a bunch of diapers is inconvenient) he only wore cloth. Quite frankly, every time we used disposables he got rashy and had more issues with leaks/poop explosions – so we were never tempted to abandon the cloth. The bumGenius are so easy that even the daycare didn’t mind using them. Laundering them was easy too. Our supply of cloth diapers totaled about $500 for the 2 1/2 years he was in them.

We are expecting our second this summer and plan to go the same route.

My wife and I are very busy, and still have no problems with cloth diapering. We’ve used Bumgenius as well (3.0 with velcro. We got a few of the new ones with the snaps and they are great too and will likely last longer than the velcro).

Daycare won’t do it, so he’s in disposable during the day. But, honestly, these are not your grandmother’s cloth diapers. We find them not much more work than disposables.

As for the “greeness” of the diapers. We have one of the highest efficiency washers, and line dry the diapers. We use a non-phosphate detergent.

We also plan on using the same diapers on the next kid. I can’t imagine that this is equal to disposable diapers in terms of the environment.

I was going to cloth diaper. I got lots of cover and did it with a diaper service for three months. My first kid could pee through a diaper in about five minutes. I was changing him all the time. I gave up after three months and went disposable.

In Toronto disposable diapers are included in the city compost bins, so it doesn’t even contribute to landfill.

That was supposed to be a joke…

Anyway, thanks for all the tips guys. I found a site that will rent out newborn diapers for 3 months for a really reasonable price, so I think I’ll try that out and see how it goes. Of course, first I have to actually have a baby, so cart before the horse and all that… :smiley:

My daughter peed through them by five weeks old. I toughed it out for another week, then switched her to disposables. No more leaks, and she immediately started sleeping through the night.

That was the end of my experiment with cloth.

Not a parent, but deal with young children due to profession. It doesn’t seem hygenic to keep putting something on someone they’ve pissed/shit on when you have the option of giving them a new one.

So, gross for the baby and you have to wash shit and piss. I wonder what there’s to be smug about.

I used cloth on both mine, and loved it. I was a poor student living out in the country so running to town to buy more disposables was out of the question.

Every day I washed 2 or 3 dozen diapers and hung them on the line before going to class. Easy-peasy.

One tip I got from the kids’ granny: save your bread wrappers and use them to put soiled diapers in when you are out and about.

The same thing happens to their clothes. Do you think people should throw away baby’s outfit every time? Or do you think that modern washing machines can’t clean soiled diapers/clothes ?

My husband is a mechanic and he often gets hazardous stuff like diesel fuel, antifreeze, brake fluid etc. on his clothes. Do you think it’s okay that I wash them, and let him wear them again?

You can do what you wish, but I come from a family where if a baby pees/poops all over their clothes it gets thrown out. I’m just funny like that. I also have an irrational, yes I know it’s borderline crazy, fear of hepatitis.

Hazardous stuff, I would never put in my own washing machine. However, if you want to keep them it’s your choice.

I don’t mean to be rude but that seems incredibly wasteful. People have been washing cloth diapers (and women’s menstrual cloths) for centuries without a problem.

I agree, if you want to throw them out it’s your choice.

Babies get pee on their clothes daily. Throwing them out is not the norm.

You can’t get hepatitis from a baby unless that baby has hepatitis, you know.

(my bolding) I like your sense of humor. We’ll see if it survives the first 6 months. :wink:

Our daycare offers a cloth service but they would still use as many disposals :confused: so we stopped and just went with the throwaways. It didn’t matter that much to us.

Japanese laundry is more of a pain in the *ss, so I wouldn’t consider cloth for us, but would possibly if we lived in the States.

You can get hepatitis is you’re not disposing of waste properly.

Not unless the waste contains hepatitis, ie the person who made the waste was an infected individual.

I’m sure no one can convince you of this fact, but hepatitis doesn’t just magically spring from poop.