Clueless people at work

Heh - I’m a tad annoyed with my current AA for not rescuing me with a phone call or something. She mocked me quite a bit about it, actually. :slight_smile:

Ha! I have the number for time and temperature set on speed dial just for this purpose~ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been dealing with the same problem.

I have a clueless coworker who comes into my cubicle unannounced 2 or 3 times a day to talk about totally stupid, work-place inappropriate stuff. I swear she uses me as her psychotherapist, the way she talks constantly about herself. I know about her every desire, fear, worry, insecurity, habit, preference, dream, and thought. She will inform me when she has to go to the bathroom, including details about what she’s about to do (usually in a baby voice). When she unexpectedly starts her period, I know about it (and I unwittingly know that she doesn’t use tampons). She even tells me when she has to “toot”. Working with her is like working with a four-year-old with verbal diarrhea. And it doesn’t matter that I rarely stop working when she comes to visit. She doesn’t seem to mind talking to the back of my head.

At first I liked that people were so social at my workplace, but now I realize it has serious downsides. Like promoting homicidal tendencies.

I really don’t understand Chatty Kathies. Misreading body language is one thing, but when a person isn’t laughing at your stupid anecdotes, shouldn’t that be a clue that they aren’t listening to you? And if someone is typing away at their keyboard while you’re talking, how can you NOT know you’re being ignored? I just don’t get it.

I have a new one that I’ve worked with for a total of about 4 hours. I know where she moved from, that she lives with her boyfriend that’s 46 and never had a serious relationship before, that he drinks too much sometimes, that he’s a control freak, where he works, that he’s insecure, that she drives a Mustang, her age, her birthday, her kids names, that she smokes, how she hurt herself last weekend and a zillion other things that I really, really didn’t need to know. Fuck, SHUT UP already, srsly!

There’s got to be lots of ways out of this.

Oh, my, just remembered that there’s a package waiting for me down in shipping! Oh, excuse me, I’ve got this sudden medical emergency, no time to talk about it! Damn, I was supposed to call that lawyer back five minutes ago - no, the judge says I better not say a word to anyone else about it!

Seems to me, the more outrageous the better.

OMG! I nearly forgot my boyfriend’s birthday! [Makes no difference as to your own gender or sexual preference or marital state - this is a stunt, right?]

One from Mrs. FtG last night. She has a cow-orker who collects soda reward points off the fridge packs and keeps bugging Mrs. FtG for ours. The other day she asked again if we had more and was told that we just bought a bunch of other brand sodas. She wasn’t happy. But after some discussion mentioned she also just bought other brand stuff too.

What the flark?

I have developed a fear of people who need to use their hands while talking.

You know - the ones who punctuate every inane statement they might make with gestures. And not little ones, either - but large, extravagant gestures moving anywhere within arm’s length of their bodies.

And, of course, the one who taught me just how scary these people might be was the sort who would explode if she had to be quiet for five minutes.

Stupid, I could deal with. Motormouthing, and talking about stuff I have no desire, nor need, to hear I could also deal with.

The fact that this stupid twit couldn’t stop making her extravagant gestures while working in a For-the-Love-of-Og kitchen made her a bloody nuisance. Before I realized that this idiot saw no need to curtail her gestures while holding a For-the-Love-of-Og ten inch chef’s knife I tried walking behind her. I even was doing what I consider good practice: annoucing “behind you” as I did, so she wouldn’t back up. And then I have this knife waving about six inches in front of my face. For some reason, I freak out on her.

And the clueless wank tells me that she would never do something like that, so there’s no reason for her to put down a knife while she’s talking. :eek::mad:

I never walked near her while there was a knife near her ever again.

It’s not on purpose. We just get completely carried away and forget that we’re holding a dangerous implement. Also, sometimes, we don’t have a really good sense of where our body parts are.

This is why I’m not allowed to hold a pencil during Pictionary, unless I’m actively drawing something.

phouka, at least it seems you’ve admitted the problem and are taking steps to minimize the risks. Besides, I like you - so I’d put up with a lot more from you than I would have from the twit in question. :wink: