Collective noun for black holes

Today’s Science Times has an article about groups of black holes and raises the question of what to call them. Before reading the article, I had three suggestions: crush, crash, craze (a certain sameness). The Times offers several suggestions:

A crush. A mosh pit. A silence. A speckle. A hive. An enigma. Or a favorite of mine for of its connection to my youth: an Albert Hall of black holes.

It solicits readers’ suggestions too. Do Dopers have any thoughts on the subject?

A Singularities Club

I am not a professional astronomer, but stellar clusters are a thing.

So, cluster? Re. the numerous black holes that might exist at the core of a globular cluster or galaxy, I suppose people would understand what you were talking about if you referred to a swarm of black holes, or, you know, a mass of black holes…

I went to see Tagada Jones live at concert. They’re a pretty good hardcore punk band.

But at that concert, one huge cornfed-mofo wearing classic British punk regalia–big sharp shoulder spikes, etc.–would charge through the mosh pit, shoulder first, looking to hurt people. Nobody wanted to bother with that garbage. He totally dominated the area and cleared the pit of all moshpit-material.

Hence, “moshpit,” fits really, really well.

A bang of black holes

You need to determine what constitutes a group of black holes, the implication of the OP is that these black holes maintain some clear proximity to each other which distinguishes them from randomly located black holes around the universe.

There’s also could be some point where the group is inescapably on the way to becoming singular, so is there some such group state of black holes that cannot escape their combined gravitational field without yet having become just a singular singularity?

An implosion.
A sucking.
A huge sucking sound of black holes.
An attraction.
An inescapability.

A group of holes in general could be called a “colander” or a “sieve”.

I read that article in the Times today. I love the “Albert Hall of Black Holes” but besides that I’d offer a smash of black holes.

I was actually thinking “Suckiage.”

A Suckiage of Black Holes.

A Chorus Line.

A kessel.

A Density?

A Calcutta of Black Holes

Yes, I’ve heard of black holes.

But have you heard of cattle?

You read the news today? oh boy.

How many does it take*, to make an Albert Hall of black holes?

*I’ve got a hole in me pocket!

A mesh of black holes.

There’s also the concept of a black hole swarm. I mostly heard it discussed in the context of multiple black holes orbiting some central gravitational body (probably a supermassive black hole), but I don’t think it has a formal definition. Not that I could find anyway.

In general, I can think of two issues with thinking of a collective noun for black holes:

1.There’s still a lot to learn about black holes. So, say we choose some grandiose name like a “leviathon” of black holes.
It’s going to seem pretty daft later if we find micro black holes are spread throughout space.

1. The whole thing of collective nouns is just silly anyway, IMO. A lot of them were just invented to be witty in the first instance, then later became standardized as a way to show off that you know something.

Not a bad suggestion.

A “Show Off” of Black Holes.

:laughing:

I think we have a Winner! :grin: