College confusion

This is my second year of college and I am wondering if I really want to follow my planned major. When being a lawyer or a cop or a journalist or a writer sounds so interesing. Then I remember I love biology and want to go into wildlife managment, but then I think of all the Statistics involved and cringe. Does any ones else feel/have felt this way? How do I get around it, should I stick with my major? Or should I go hide in my closet till after my earth math class?

Well, being a lawyer doesn’t require a particular undergrad degree, many people with history or psychology degrees end up going to law school, there’s no reason a bio major can’t. As for a writer, your degree hardly matters, it’s your ability to write that’s important. (duh) A good bet might be to take a minor in English or Journalism. Either will help you learn to write better, and broadening your horizons neve hurts. Don’t sweat the indecision, most of us weren’t sure about our major until we graduated. Can’t help you with being a cop, unless tour school offers a minor in Crim.
Good luck

They had to invent the Web for me to find the job I wanted. Unfortunately, that was over 15 years after I graduated.

Don’t get locked in. Do what you’d love to do, with a passion, and all will work out.

Yeah, as far as journalism goes, there is sort of a movement now to have people specialize–have a good background in something else (biology, politics, econ) and layer the journalism on top of that so that you can write well about a specific subject area.

Don’t feel locked in yet. Careers aren’t as closely tied to majors as it might seem right now.

Heck, I don’t know anyone who didn’t go through that. I did after my freshman year, although mine was milder-- I switched from Magazine Journalism to Public Relations (both in the school of journalism & mass communications). A good friend of mine started out in Magazine, then doubled in Magazine and Biology. She’s now in medical school. Another friend majored in PR, then went to Law school (and just passed the Bar). Another triple-majored in German, English and Biology, and still has no idea what she wants to do.

The thing to keep in mind is that a college education, in any field, can only aid you in getting where you decide to go. Like I said, I majored in PR. When I graduated, I got a job as a web developer. They don’t relate at all. However, after 2 years of web development, I got my current job, which is half tech stuff and half communications. Keep your eye out for things that interest you, and don’t talk yourself out of something you fear your not qualified for. Leave your qualifications up to the people you interview with. If you really want to explore other fields, go after internships within field that interest you, so you can really see what they’re all about.

At least you’re thinking about it at a good time: at most schools, you will barely have declared a major at this point, and even with that, have only taken the pre-reqs for focused coursework. You’ll be fine. Really. Even if you go all four years and find out it’s not what you want to do, it’s a wide world out there, and enthusiasm for a new field is often more valuable than grudging work in one you know.

Heck, I don’t know anyone who didn’t go through that. I did after my freshman year, although mine was milder-- I switched from Magazine Journalism to Public Relations (both in the school of journalism & mass communications). A good friend of mine started out in Magazine, then doubled in Magazine and Biology. She’s now in medical school. Another friend majored in PR, then went to Law school (and just passed the Bar). Another triple-majored in German, English and Biology, and still has no idea what she wants to do.

The thing to keep in mind is that a college education, in any field, can only aid you in getting where you decide to go. Like I said, I majored in PR. When I graduated, I got a job as a web developer. They don’t relate at all. However, after 2 years of web development, I got my current job, which is half tech stuff and half communications. Keep your eye out for things that interest you, and don’t talk yourself out of something you fear you’re not qualified for. Leave your qualifications up to the people you interview with. If you really want to explore other fields, go after internships within field that interest you, so you can really see what they’re all about.

At least you’re thinking about it at a good time: at most schools, you will barely have declared a major at this point, and even with that, have only taken the pre-reqs for focused coursework. You’ll be fine. Really. Even if you go all four years and find out it’s not what you want to do, it’s a wide world out there, and enthusiasm for a new field is often more valuable than grudging work in one you know.

What school do you attend? If it has a particular field for which it is well-known and your interests lie in that direction, you might consider that for a major. For example, many people from places far away from Michigan attend MSU for the veternary medicine program although other schools closer to home offer the major. It’s something to check out, at least.

I’d advise against journalism as a major (and I am a journalism major barely six months from graduation) for several reasons: it’s fiercely competitive, there are few reporting jobs available at any one time (TV/radio production, editing and design are a different story, but the market is still tight), and the money is…well, let’s just say you can do better. A lot better. If you’re interested in writing and working with words but the news isn’t your passion, stay far, far away. However, I’ve been told that a journalism degree is an excellent foundation for law school.

Your milage, of course, may vary.

Whatever you do, don’t let a fear of math stop you from doing what you want. Most people hate/fear math because they had crappy math teachers in high school. I know this because I’ve been through a math ed program and seen some of the high school teachers the program turned out.

I myself got an English degree because I hated and feared math, a degree in creative writing which still required Algebra. I hated and feared every second of Algebra but I aced it and still didn’t realize my fear was unfounded. It wasn’t until several years later taht I realized I had let crappy high school math teachers spoil math for me and effectively rob me of doing what I wanted (whatever that is, but that’s another story). I never enjoyed English and did nothing with my degree, but I had it simply to avoid Math. So I went back to school to get a degree in Math.

I wasted a lot of time, money, opportunities, and happiness being scared of math for no damn good reason. It’s not impossible. You may think you “just can’t do math” but believe me, it’s psychological, not real (I’ve never met anyone who “just can’t do History”). Get yourself a good Schaum’s Outline, a tutor, or whatever. Find out which prof or TA is good and get in their section. Do whatever it takes but jesus, don’t decide the rest of your life around one silly course.

students to other majors.. How much stats are in WM?
Stats suck bad.. I took three courses of Russian and
12 hours of intensive scientific writing.. This was an
option that we had. Any stats that come up in regular
classes, like ecology or whatever, are okay.

If you love biology that's cool but you don't make that
much money when it is all said and done.. That's something
to keep in mind.

If I remember right, you're dealing with populations in
wildlife managment and you'll see that kind of stuff all
over like in evolution and ecology

I recommend pursuing a course of study that let’s you do what you most want to do. If it involves taking classes you despise, just know that they will be over, so you sohuld grin and bear it.

Husband has a psych degree with a minor in computer information system. He’s a web developer, and he’s never done anything with his major. I have a BBA in computer information systems and marketing. I’m a mainframe programmer and I want to be a published fiction novelist. Do what will make you happiest.