I'm thinking of going to community college but

Here’s the trouble: (I’m 33 by the way and can’t do my old job anymore because of a back injury)

The only two topics of interest to me are (print)journalism and science.
I’m horribly bad at both science and writing.

I like the journalism course because it comes with English 1&2, which I badly need, US History 1&2 (badly need) and some other odds and ends like government stuff and public speaking. Plus writing courses.

The science has, well…science stuff plus a lot of math, which I need but let’s face it…I’m lazy.

Which of the two would help me get a job in the real world, related or unrelated?

While the job prospects are important, I’d say go study either or both. Nobody wrote well the first time they took pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, to be current.) The same thing applies to math and science. You have to screww around with it for a while before it starts feeling intuitve.

I take about one course a year from the local JCs. It’s cheap education a dn always fun. Go do it.

Thanks for the input Monkey
For everyone else who was so eagerly awaiting my final choice, I picked enviromental science.
I took it because in certain circumstances, I’ll be able to dovetail my past work experience into this (I used to work on sewers), which is important because nobody wants to hire a 33yr old guy who has no experience in the field at all.

At worst I’ll waste my time and money and effort. But this course would at the least qualify me for some kind of wastewater treament job. It doesn’t sound glamourous and it’s not but I’m pretty sure it’s a decent paying job.
At best I can go even further. Maybe find some kind of job doing enviromental impact studies or something. Then there’s a gaint ass landfill not to very far from here that probably needs people with that type of study.

Anyhow, thanks for all the well wishes. You guys make me feel like family. I almost want to make you all benefciaries on my life insurance policy.

I majored in civil engineering, and I wasn’t very good at math. It didn’t matter, I was there to learn it anyway, and I did.

By the way, the environmental field seems to be doing well lately. Just get into a subject that interests you and you should be fine.

And besides…if you don’t like your major and decide to change it, you will be exactly like most new college students.

It wouldn’t hurt to take a few advanced computer courses while you are there, and a business course is always helpful as well.

Keep your options open. You might decide to go off into a whole new direction after the first semester.

Oh, and be sure to take those writing courses. No matter what you wind up studying, the ability to write a decent resume and communicate on paper is a priority in almost all well-paying jobs.

I think you should do journalism. And as I’m curently studying journalism myself, it is (of course) a completly un biased opinion.

Err, that should be *should have

Rooves, check your email. I’m in that industry if you have questions.

Eons ago, I began a community college as a journalism major, but made the mistake of taking one Intro to Psych class (as an elective), and that was all she wrote. (OMG! I made a pun! A rather horrible pun, but a pun nonetheless!)

I got a Bachelor’s degree in Applied Behavioral Science (which is like a cross between psychology and sociology) from a major university. I like it, but the pay sucks in a major way. I’m returning in the fall for my Teaching Certification. Still not great pay, but better than social services, and it’s something I’d really like to do.

My daughter began her college career as a History major, jumped to psychology, and is now an education major. The point of going to college it to investigate new and different areas of life, and if you’re doing it right, you’ll probably change your mind from the original plan.