Come saaaaail away!

A gathering of angels appeared above my head
They sang to me this song of hope
and this is what they said:
They said "come sail away!
Come sail away!
Come saaaail away with me!"

So, inspired by a current thread in GQ, I thought I’d ask who sails? I do! With 22,603 SDMB members, I figure I can’t be the only one.

Myself, I sail a wooden-hulled Dragon. She’s a 30 foot beast of teak, varnish, stainless steel, rope and canvas. Truly a bonnie boat, if I might say so myself.

I sail with a couple of friends. At 21-22, we’re probably a little younger than most people out on the water. For that reason, we don’t belong to a yacht club and we seldom race competitively. Our sailing time is for pleasure alone. But what a pleasure it is! On a fine summers day, there’s nothing I’d rather be doing than being out on the water.

So who else enjoys this most excellent of pastimes? If not a sail-boat, do you have a power-craft? What type of boat do you have? What type of boat would you rather be driving/sailing, if any? Are you confined to a river, or do you head out into the salt-water? All tales boat-related are welcome!

Freshwater sailor.
My Boat
Flying Junior.
13’ 3" loa
5’ 3" beam
Fractional sloop rig.

Haven’t taken her out near enough this year.

I sail a 16-and-a-half foot McLaughlin DaySailer I. It’s a wide, forgiving boat first made in 1958 by Uffa Fox and George O’Day. I find sailing to be a form of meditation. What I mean is that the constant paying attention to the wind, the sails, the heeling angle, and all that, is necessary just to keep from falling over. With your mind thus occupied, it’s impossible to think about your troubles.