Comedians in cars getting coffee

I’ve been wondering the same thing. At first, I thought - This is going to be pretty cool. What a great thing for Jerry to do. Then it got very weird. It didn’t make sense. There was no closure or explanation. Also, Bob’s voice was terrible. My throat hurt listening to him.

I watched a couple this weekend. I really wanted to love it but I didn’t. No real comedy, no real insights. Meh.

Acura was the sponsor of the web show. This was a commercial disguised as a gag. It was also a continuation of a tv commercial. And the characters he often plays get shit on all the time.

I was expecting his brother to come up especially when they brought up their father. I don’t know if there is bad blood there.

My favorite episodes are the ones that make Jerry laugh unexpectedly Bob Einstein did it a lot.

My husband and I were also waiting for someone to bring up his brother since he talked about his father and his mother was in the film clip. Maybe bad blood…

I used to watch these when they were on Crackle, then Crackle changed and made it very hard to find them. Watched a few recently on Netflix, most recently the episode with Brian Regan, and I giggled through the whole thing.

And they’re not supposed to be in-depth interviews. Jerry isn’t an interviewer. He just likes to get coffee with friends, and make a shitload of money while doing it.

I wonder if there is any bad blood due to Albert’s movie Mother. The title character was very much based on their mother.

Seinfeld is a car collector, but he’s mostly into just Porsches. The 9 11 Carrera RS used in the Brooks/Reiner ep, the truck in the Michael Richards ep, the 356 with Jay Leno and the early bug (designed by Porsche for Hitler) are actually his. Most of the cars featured aren’t. SJP, Tim Allen and David Letterman are the only guest sthat brought their own cars.

Re: the Sarah Jessica Parker episode: They weren’t wearing their seat belts. What’s up with that?

bolding mine

It was hilarious when he brought Christoph Waltz to IHOP, since CW is “international”. The disgust on CW’s face when he compared the taste to the fine bistros he goes to in Europe!

I love Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner the best – eating Chinese food together on TV trays every night.

I do take the point that it’s a light show, but what bugs me is with the minimal content it has, why show them walking and talking with no audio? TELL US WHAT THEY’RE SAYING!

The one with Michael Richards was the worst I saw (I didn’t watch Miranda whatever at all). He just seemed like he was “on”, doing a set and not just chatting with Jerry.

They were - the station wagon only had lap belts, so you couldn’t see that most of the time. I think there’s a scene where Jerry complains his is too tight while Parker is driving.

I guess you can say Obama brought his own too.

I’ll have to go back and watch the Michael Richards episode. I remember thinking different. He seemed melancholy but resigned to not having a career any more but gave glimpses of what he once was.

I liked the Michael Richards one, too. I get the impression that no one really likes Jay Leno, although they all say he’s a great guy, and I thought that David Letterman was hilariously grumpy and reluctant to appear in public. Also, his supercharged station wagon is awesome, even if it does catch on fire occasionally. I know Bob Einstein is a comedy legend with a long, successful career, but I just don’t find him funny. Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner is my favorite episode, especially the bit when you realize Mel has absolutely no idea who Jerry is- “You do the all the characters, right?” “No.” “I’ll go to your show in Vegas” “No, You won’t.” “You’re right, I won’t.”

Funny I was just recently watching “I’m Telling You For the Last Time,” Jerry’s first standup special after Seinfeld ended, which just came on Netflix last month, and there’s an intro skit at the beginning of Jerry having a funeral for all of his “old material.”

What was striking was the very first shot is a closeup of a lineup of funeral-goers, and prominently featured were George Carlin, Ed McMahon, Garry Shandling, and Alan King, all of whom have died since that was recorded.

You would be surprised at the number of cops that don’t know when lap belts became standard equipment. Then later 3 point belts became standard.

no, I wouldn’t be surprised. Fifteen or so years ago I had a 1966 with no seatbelts (they were optional until '67, I think) and those were the prime “I don’t want to be trapped inside” years to the original owner didn’t get them. Everyone wanted to be “thrown clear,” as I recall. Through the windshield and onto nice soft concrete with people in heavy cars using drum brakes to panic-stop, that was the smarter option. :rolleyes:

Since the car was vintage, it was legal to continue without them, something I got to explain to police fairly often. I actually planned to retrofit them (the attachment points were there, just needed the belts) but ironically the car was totaled before I got around to it.

I like it. The tone is so low-key and relaxed, it’s almost tranquilizing. A surprising number of guests have said, “wow, I had a really good time” like they were surprised.

Seinfeld himself comes off like a guy with nothing left to prove and no f’s to give, which of course he is. I love his descriptions of the vehicles. He’s pretty quick on his feet too-- gets off some pretty witty comments, like this one with Judd Apatow:

Apatow (pointing to his mundane, point a-to-b type ride): “that’s my go-to car. It never lets me down”
Seinfeld: “it never lifts you up, either”.

P.s. Just watched the one with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks last night, and it was as good as advertised here

To me it seems like Seinfeld has seen everything and it takes a lot to get him to laugh. But when someone gets him to laugh he really appreciates it. After all these years he still looks at Larry David with fascination. He makes Seinfeld laugh even when not trying to be funny. Especially when he’s not trying to be funny.

Watching that makes me sad he still isn’t POTUS. He is an awesome man.

Apparently Seinfeld’s being sued by a former producer who says the idea for the show was his. What set it off is the Netflix deal. Until now, Seinfeld did the show as a hobby and paid himself scale for editing and sponsor Acura paid the production cost, so he didn’t make any money from it but it didn’t cost him anything either. Now that it’s on Netflix and he’s getting $750k/episode…

I enjoy it when Jerry hangs out with old friends. You can see his eyes light up.

The interviews with younger “stars” seemed forced. The Ansari interview seemed very staged. He didn’t click with Jerry at all. I’m not sure Ansari is even familiar with Jerry’s standup.