Comedy sequels that worked?

Another vote for Bill and Ted’s Totally Bogus Journey.

I found Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls to be nearly as funny as the first.

Try asking Santiago Segura.

Torrente: el brazo tonto de la ley was the best-selling movie in Spanish history. As a sleeper. It was dethroned by Torrente II, which got beaten by Torrente III, which got smacked by Torrente IV (now in theaters). Of the four movies which had greater first-weekend grosses (corrected for inflation) than Torrente IV, the only one that wasn’t a comedy sequel was Avatar.

While I haven’t watched any of them, the success of that series has gotten Segura cameos in American movies and made it possible for him to get financing for any project he comes up with.

I liked Naked Gun 2 1/2 better than the first one. I thought Naked Gun 33 1/3 was the weakest of the three.

Would Short Circuit II count as a comedy?

I thought Austin Powers really hit it’s stride with the second one. It introduced us to Mini-Me, Fat Bastard, and the casting of Rob Lowe as a young Robert Wagner. They also did well with the time-travel angle .
As good or better than the original.
Part 3 had really jumped the shark though. Goldmember & Beyonce?

I used to think it was funny, but at one point I watched both again and realized that while Ace was goofy in the first one, he was also competent and generally a good guy. The weird stuff he did was simply to further his investigation. In the second one, that competence is pretty much out the window and he spends the entire movie just being a dick. Every bit of humor except the rhino is him mistreating everyone he comes across, even the folk who are on his side. It’s funny mistreatment, but it kind of ruined the movie for me.

I’ll have to see airplane 2 again. I remember it being hilarious–and the whole theatre agreeing–when it originally came out.

Addams Family Values was much funnier than The Addams Family, introducing a whole new character for contrast, moving Wednesday and Pugsley to summer camp away from the family, etc.

Also it has an MC Hammer song.

I thoroughly enjoyed Babe II: A Pig in the City, and thought that in many ways, it was better than the first. Something about the mood/tone of the movie makes me wonder whether it’s fair to characterize it as a comedy, though.

I thought Wayne’s World 2 was excellent.