Comics: Does DC stand for "Deny Continuity"?

After all the failed attempts at rebooting the DC universe over the years, things have finally settled down and it is almost possible to follow storylines and characters. Batman is raising his son and is finally getting married to Catwoman, Superman and Lois are married and have a son, both of the offspring are buds, the Teen Titans are back together etc.-all is well in the world…not. Apparently someone in DC has a stick up their ass about their characters developing in any way, so right in the middle of recovering from their last complete reboot they plan on having yet another complete reboot, another “Crisis”, and this one will be titled(believe it or not)…CRISIS. :smack:

DC movies reach approximately 100,000,000 people. DC comics reach approximately 100,000.

I was going to continue, but what’s the point? That first paragraph says it all. If you’re a company and can attract even one tenth of one percent of movie viewers to start reading comics you’ve doubled your take. If what they want to see is the same as in the movies, that’s what they’ll get. Really, that’s Continuity with a capital C.

It may get movie goers to 4 or 5 bucks to read a comic book or two, but will the numbers be higher than the number of readers that give up and go elsewhere? BTW, if DC decides that the comics should follow the movies and tv shows, then they will be following two different tracks at the same time, either of which will probably reboot at least once in the next couple of years. Do they model comic Batman after tv’s Batman, or after the current movie Batman, or after rumors of what the next tv or movie Batman will be like?
If this is indeed their plan, then their plan is fucked.

Yeah, following their movies is stupid. People who watch the movies may check out the comics, sure. But they have no reason to expect them to be the same continuity, or else movie-goers would be lost. They, on the other hand, have no reason to be lost, since they can go back and buy the first book, like they would a modern TV show.

Sure, the comics can create jumping-on points, but that doesn’t mean killing continuity. It just requires issues where they establish the new status quo, and get new readers up to speed. Treat them like seasons, where people can come in.

Plus how big is the new market anyways? Aren’t most people who would be interested in the commitment required by modern comics already reading them? I would bet that people who come in from the movies are turned off more by the cost-to-story ratio than anything to do with continuity. I bet they’d do better to have a line of comics that move at the compressed storytelling level of the Golden and Silver ages.

Or some sort of Netflix for comics, maybe. But they seem to hate that idea. It would get the cost-to-story level down to where the average person would try it.

So you’ve got a comic following along with the tv show, and somehow people like the characters in the comic…but on the show a character that is a comic favorite is dropped because the actor left to do another series or a movie etc. and now the comic has to drop the same character which the fans love.

We’ve known for a long time that everything post-Flashpoint wasn’t part of the original continuity, and it’s been obvious from reading the comics that all the stuff that went “missing” after that event was returning.

Also, the current married-with-a-kid Superman isn’t the real Superman, but one from an alternate universe, and keeping Batman happy would probably be the biggest breach of character for him. None of which is to say they’ll handle this event well, but it’s been obvious just from reading the comics that another big shakeup is coming.

FWIW I have enjoyed the Rebirth relaunch more than the New 52 (whose reset got me to jump into collecting comics regularly in the first place). I did hear they were dropping the Rebirth branding but did not hear about a new Crisis. In any event, Big crossovers are what comics do. It’s inevitable to get one every couple of years.

Reboots and crossovers are two different things.

In fact, they made major changes to Batman because of the tv show. And they synced Clark and Lois getting married in the comics to the tv show Lois and Clark. Nothing about this is new.

I agree. I probably wasn’t clear in my post. I like the current direction of DC’s titles, at least the ones I read, so I have faith the new crossover could be good. Either way a new one was inevitable since there will always be a new one.

You seem to be a little mixed up here: If you like the direction they are going in(as I do), then you won’t like the fact that they are going to do a complete re-boot, NOT a cross-over.

In interest of fighting ignorance it stands for “Detective Comics”, the title that introduced Batman in issue #27.

http://www.superstupor.com/sust02132009.shtml