Commercial Feminism: 70's Style

OK who remembers this Enjoli Commerical from the 70’s.

C’mon ladies can you work all day, come home and cook a good meal and then boom-chick-a-boom it in the bedroom??

I remember it. It’s one of a very few commercials I remember from when I was a toddler. I guess with the internet, nothing’s ever really gone or forgotten, is it?

I remember that. It always seemed to be aimed at guys, to buy the perfume for their wives.

Yeah, cuz she smelled like onions from all that cooking. Can’t the little lady think of her breadwinner before she does her wifely duties?*

*Wow! That sounds snarky… or maybe that’s the point…

I think the point was more that the “New Woman” could do all those things. More of a “I am woman, hear me roar” thing than what I said. Buy the perfume herowndamnself, cuz only the complete, happening women wore Enjoli.

And like so many TV commercials, its music came from somewhere else.
Not sure who wrote the song, but I first became aware of it sometime in the 70’s, when Maria Muldaur sang “I’m A Woman.”

I remember that commercial.

So now I’m watching old commercials on the site. Such as The Flinstones hawking Winstons. Weird.

Farrah Fawcett’s first exposure was from Lavoris mouthwash ads. The product was minty, but the commercials were extra-cheesy!

Oh, don’t forget: Right before cigarette ads were banned, Virginia Slims launched its “You’ve come a long way baby!” campaign. Cigar ads were around for years afterwards, including this sheer poetry:

Should a gentleman offer
A Tiparillo to a lady?
And what if he does?
Well baby it’s all right!

I had Bing Bang Boing when I was a kid.

I did not have Mister Microphone. ‘Hey, good lookin’! We’ll be back to pick you up later!’

That song was actually written by Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, an otherwise extremely distinguished hitmaking team.

I remember the Enjoli commercial. And being confused. (I was three-ish.) What’s the big deal about going to the store and getting some bacon? My mom does that all the time!

How could you “forget” that you’re a man? Poor men, I don’t think the girls I know could forget if they were a boy or girl… Men must be really, really distracted…

(Of course, I also couldn’t understand why Captain Kangaroo was constantly being replaced by all these guys in suits talking about water… boooorrrrring!)