[QUOTE=Happy Scrappy Hero Pup]
Of course I can. I just did. Who are you to tell me what’s out of order and what’s not? Especially when you’re advocating wildly dispropotionate punishments yourself?
[/QUOTE]
We’re having a debate, I believe you’re out of order comparing the slaughter of innocents in a war-torn El Salvador to the US Immigration debate. I believe doing so does a disservice to those who died at the hands of El Salvadoran death squads, at the same time comparing our own federal agents to them, THAT is out of order. Further, I am NOT advocating disproportionate punishments, I am advocating deportation for illegal immigrants, it is a punishment they KNOWINGLY face when they come to our country illegally.
[QUOTE=HSHP]
Your assertion that a law is justified by its own existence is flawed.
“Because it’s the law” is not a valid counterargument.
[/QUOTE]
Flawed how? The representatives of the citizenry chose these laws, if those same representatives decide to listen to the citizenry and change the laws, then the system is precisely balanced, and the laws are justified by their existance. Period.
Because it’s the law is a PRECISE counterargument. If you’re going 65 in a 35 zone because you think God wants you to, and you get pulled over and ticketed, it is ‘‘because it’s the law’’. God carries no influence with a radar gun, pal.
[QUOTE=HSHP]
Of course they have the power to do this. They’re doing it, aren’t they? It might be against the law, but that’s not synonymous with “impossible.”
[/QUOTE]
I have the WILL to do anything, I have the POWER to do only a few things. The church has the will, but not the authority to harbor fugitives.
[QUOTE=HSHP]
You can’t seriously be expecting to make a valid comparison between “the people” as the embodiment of government and “all men,” can you? The Church has taken a stand against laws it feels to be unjust on dozens of occasions, whether you want to accept the comparisons as valid or not. it’s doing that here. You cannot POSSIBLY be making the contention that harboring an illegal immigrant is UNJUST. Can you?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I can and have. “The People” as embodiment of government represents ALL MEN, those that are believers in God, and those that are not, alike. God’s law is applicable to those that choose it’s path. God as you believe him/her/it to be is alike but seperate from what I believe him/her/it to be. You can believe with all your being that the law of the Christian God applies to every single person on earth, there are many that will disagree with you. The law of man, (i.e. the people as the embodiment of government) is meant to deal with EVERYBODY, despite beliefs, because even if you THINK you know what’s next, friend, I guarantee you don’t KNOW until you get there. Until then, you’re walking on faith, and hey, if that’s your thing, more power to you, but there are many other considerations in society.
I am making the contention that harboring an illegal immigrant is ILLEGAL, that is against the laws of society, the laws of ALL MEN in our country, and that although the church believes the laws unjust, they should be ready to accept punishment for flauting it. I KNOW the immigration laws are flawed, extremely so, but flaws do not exempt one person, NOT ONE, from the enforcement thereof.
Further, the rhetoric about illegal immigrants as equal to African slaves is absolute and total bullshit. I cannot think of a more outlandish comparison than that one. We KNOW slavery is wrong, we also know that uncontrolled immigration is a threat to our own safety and security. The people that came before us built what some (including myself) consider to be the greatest nation on the face of the earth, which is why everyone wants to be here, but quite simply, we can’t allow everyone who wants to, to come live here without some check and balance system.
Unchecked immigration will, not probably, maybe or potentially, but WILL, and in fact has cause(d) us great harm. Personally, I would rather help, say, Mexico fix their economic problems and create a better life for the citizens of Mexico in their proud homeland, than have them break our laws and face unnecessary punishment.
To Wit.