[QUOTE=GIGObuster]
Well said, and I have to say sure checks are needed, but it always amazes me that people like **buttonjockey308 ** ignore on purpose that laws were changed before to deal with this issue, even I agree that better control is needed at the border, but OTOH not giving any chance to the ones already here because of the former lack of control remains an inhuman position. Many former illegals that got the chance of legalizing their status then are now good American citizens.
Salvadoran-American.
Former illegal too, became a legal resident thanks to NACARA and amnesty laws and then a citizen in the 90’s. So I guess I will be always like a murderer to the OP.
[/QUOTE]
Listen, pal, I know about the IRCA, how it helped and how it hurt. My position is, was and likely always will be in this debate that the church is an accessory to a crime, and just like any accessory to any crime, should be held accountable. If you ARE illegally in this country, you KNOW and must ACCEPT the risk that you and your family will be detained and deported. That said, let me draw MY distinct line about crime and criminals, lest you be any further deluded;
There are essentially 4 kinds of crime: (this is WAY shorthand, but I’m tired)
Part I Violent crimes (murder, robbery, forceable rape)
Part I Property Crimes (burglary, larceny auto theft)
Part II crimes (under which violations of immigration law usually fall)
Part III (summary, civil, local ordinances, aggravators etc)
There is a correlation between each of these parts, as they are all violations of the law to whatever extent, and those that would commit said violations are considered to be criminals, subject to criminal prosecution (or in part III civil action as well).
To remedy the violation of any one of the parts there is a “punishment” or, more recently, a “corrective plan” (I consider it more of an incentive really, but that’s neither here nor there) that allows the violator the ability to pay, with time or money, his or her debt to society, who created and hence enforce the laws.
That “corrective plan” is in equal severity (in most cases) to the severity of the violation (pot possession not withstanding).
If you murder someone just because it was tuesday, you, in my opinion, forfeit your right to continue to live. The law sees it this way too, at least in some places.
If you speed, you’re given a ticket which imposes a fine and is directed at “punishing” (or again with the incentives) you for breaking the law you KNEW about before you did it.
See, a direct link between crime and punishment. It is what I, (perhaps poorly explained, or perhaps you didn’t bother to read the entire thread, either way) believe is proper, it is how the law (basically) works, and despite what you or I think of the way the law IS, it is that way regardless, and will be that way until someone else comes up with something better.
I do NOT think illegals are the same TYPE of criminals as murderers and arsonists, but they are, as you were, a criminal, and the law, as it is written should apply to every man, woman and child that sets their foot on the soil here.
As for giving those a chance who are already here? Cool, I’m for it, but it means sacrifice, not just “filling out an application”. The rules are tough, and the wait and expense can be grueling, but once you’re here, the direction is yours which way to go.
This, as you can likely attest, is one of, if not THE greatest country on earth, if you want to be a citizen here, it requires you to sacrifice. My father and his father sacrificed a part of themselves that I would not have to (though I have regardless). I am lucky to be born and bred an American, I understand that, in fact, I embrace it, most in the world are not as lucky as I am.
I want others to be lucky, I want the choice of prosperity to be made available to as many people as we can afford with our resources to sustain, but each and every one of them needs to do it correctly, within the boundaries of our regulations. Or they risk enforcement action. Period.