computer/multimedia question

I have an old enhanced CD which supposedly has videos on it as well as music.

The system requirements include Windows 95. I have WinXP Pro and I can only get the music to play, not the video. Is there any way I can get it to work on my computer?

You probably need to go into My Computer and right click on the CD drive (with the CD in it). Click Explore.

Right click on one of your video files. See what the file extension is (e.g. mpeg). Report the file extension back to us here for a solution.

You can also click the Compatability tab and select it to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode.

When I explore in My Computer, all I can see are the music files.

I ran the compatability wizard and it wouldn’t work either.

Thank you for your suggestions, anyway.

A CD with the picture playback on it, was playable on a Genisis game console. The video on a CD came out about the time the later failed. The video was AVI movie format. A lot of players don’t have the codecs for that anymore by default. You might need to install the codec.

It sounds like there aren’t any video files on the CD. What makes you believe they are there?

There are installation instructions on the back of the liner notes in the CD case. I bought it used, so I don’t know where it originally came from.

I don’t know much about codecs. I’ve never had trouble playing anything else.

The CDs with video normaly were labled so.

I’m sure your default application for a CD is music playback as in CDA format. Open a movie player if you have one and try to play the CD from that application. The format that played on a Genisis, only works in a Genisis.

Well, it won’t work in my video player or video cd player. The music files are .cda.

Maybe there was a mix-up at the music store. I’m ready to give up.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. :slight_smile:

No - they’re talking about “enhanced CDs”, which are compact discs with two sessions on them - an audio session and a data session. The data session almost always used QuickTime (ugh!) or, very rarely, MPEG1. If it’s QT, there should be a .MOV file on the CD; if it’s MPEG1 it’ll be either a .MPG or .MPEG movie.

If I’m understanding you (that is, Harmonious Discord, not the OP) correctly, you’re talking about a “CD Video” disc which requires a laserdisc player to view the video but the audio portions should work on any CD player. All of the “CD Video” discs I have ever seen from the USA, Japan and Europe all had a gold band at the top (US) or side (Europe, Japan) of the CD label that said “CD Video” in big letters on it, like this.

As to the OP, I’ve owned a few of those “enhanced CDs” and quite a few of them never worked - even though EAC could see a data session on the disc, Windows was never able to see anything anything but the music session. Perhaps this is why they were far less popular than they should have been.

One (rather unlikely) thing to try would be to hold SHIFT while closing the disk drawer. Hold on until all CD-drive activity stops. Then go to Explorer and take a look.

That was the standard way to prevent auto-run back in the days of Win95, and some device drivers that get confused auto-running enhanced CDs might still be around.