computer screen proportions

We are used to viewing documents and magazines with dimensions such as a standard piece of 8 1/2 By 11 paper. Has there been any movement to make our computer monitors taller and less wide? Yes, we can make page fit the screen, but that requires a huge monitor that has a lot of wasted area. Seems like home entertainment is going to wide screen format more and more, so are we going to be forever stuck with this situation, or is the “paperless world” going to the current CRT format?

I’ve seen “portrait” displays in the past (for use by graphics designeers), but the trend seems to be fading. I especially remember the Radius “pivot” display, that you could flip around to look at a spreadsheet (11" wide and 8.5" height), and turn the other way for page layout (8.5" wide and 11" height).

Hey! I just noticed something. What’s this question doing in “About This Message Board”?

I was torn between moving it to “In My Humble Opinion” or “General Questions”, but after some soul-searching we’ll try “General Questions”.

moderator, «Straight Dope Message Board»

BZZT! I believe the correct answer was “close the topic” since it is a duplicate post in GQ. See: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=59679

oops, I am new to the site. (have been a straight dope fan since 86 though). I was in a hurry to register and post this before my piece of crap ISP (British Telecom) kicked me off at midnight. I barely had time to realize my error and cut and past my post to the proper area.

maybe it is because it is easier (or it seems easier to me) to look at a wider display then a taller

Smack Fu, you’re right, the thread should have been closed. However, due to the disrespectful tone of your post, I will have to ask you to come over here so I can smack you upside the head, in keeping with your username. (smack!) Let that teach you not to criticize the great A. W.

Guess I forgot the :slight_smile: Just teasing…