Computer Sound Issue

I got a new Intel Motherboard with integrated audio, using something called SoundMax. The following did not happen under Windows 2000, but when I upgraded to XP, the sound began to have some sort of staticky effect…sounded like maybe a slight echo in the sound?

I have the latest drivers, I have a Celeron 2.0, I have 512 MB of RAM. I’m guessing there must be some sort of fine setting that was set wrong when I upgraded…any sound experts out there have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

There are two things I can think of.

1. Installing XP overwrote the original audio drivers for your integrated audio on the motherboard. Take the driver CD that came with the motherboard, and reinstall the original drivers.

2. But try this first, because it is less invasive. Simply double click on the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Open up the advanced properties and look for anything that is out of whack. You won’t do too much damage by clicking around in there.

Without actually seeing your computer, my Spidey Sense is telling me that the sound frequency level is off.

I would wager that you are having reverb issues.

Soundmax has something called “Acoustic Environment” settings, which sets the reverb effect on your card. Maybe for some reason it got enabled when XP installed the drivers.

Check your start menu and control panel and see if there is a Soundmax icon. If not you will need to download the application from Soundmax.com