Conan Exiles

There’s a new sandbox/survival style game! Same genre as Ark: survival evolved.

Game is in pre-release stage, patched daily (so far). The game engine has been stable for me. I have been playing in single-player mode (hosting my own server, with only one player allowed to log in to the game :slight_smile: ). I experienced a few minor bugs, such as pathing and clipping issues for NPC mobs, minor lag spikes once in a while (loading new terrain chunks?), and, for some reason, my stacks of arrows disappear when I log out.

You level your character (and I think you can have only one 'toon at a time) by collecting resources, crafting stuff (tools, armor, weapons, pieces of structures, furniture, etc), and killing critters/NPC mobs. As you level, you get points that you can use to improve your physical stats (Strength, agility, endurance, etc). You also get a pool of points to invest in unlocking crafting recipes.

Loosely set in the Conan the barbarian universe.

I got it off steam for $30. I am having fun!

Is it true that during character creation there is a slider for penis size?

Yes. And breast size for the female characters.

However, whoever sets up the server can select “nudity off” in the setup parameters, making that game instance somewhat more family friendly. I have heard that there are youtube videos with people goofing around with nude toons for the lulz, but as far as I know, there is no direct sexual or rapey emotes.

There is still a little bit of “blood spatter” gore in combat, and if you kill humans (player or NPC), sometimes their head or limbs get severed upon death.

I would rate this game (for mild gore and potential nudity) as only suitable for 15+ year old folks, but, of course, these decisions are best left up to the customer. :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing it off and on since the launch. It’s definitely still an early release alpha at this point. The queues for the crafting system especially are wonky as all hell. Your issue with the arrows might be related. When you craft at one of the tables it does a bunch of ghost crafting, and if you pick up a bundle of the ghost arrows they will be gone when you log out and back in. As an example I crafted 1 set of armor (hands, chest, feet, legs and helm). I got like 6 of each type though. I picked up one of each and put them on then played. When I logged back in, I only had the chest and foot pieces on. Thinking they had disappeared I went back to the crafting table to make new ones…only to find 1 of each of the other pieces still in there. I’ve had the same thing happen with arrows and crossbow bolts. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

As for the game, it seems interesting. I never played Ark, so no idea how it compares. I’m a bit bummed with the crafting, as it seems kind of a waste. Once you craft a weapon or armor you basically can simply repair it to maximum level. Obviously you can lose it if you die and don’t recover your body, but seems to me to really limit crafting if you can make a weapon or armor once and then don’t have to again. Also, there is no quality level…so, someone who has a high level of crafting can’t make a better (and more durable) weapon than someone who just got the ability 2 mins ago.

I’ve done a bit of exploration, but seems like most of the interesting stuff to explore haven’t been implemented yet. Still, the game has some possibilities. My real concern is it seems to be mostly PvP oriented, and I don’t really enjoy that anymore. I’m more into PvE type experiences now.

I haven’t had that happen to me yet. I’ll keep an eye out.

I have had the same disappearing act happen with my “gruel” food stacks.

Been playing single player on my own server too. It’s pretty fun. As soon as I found a river I went about building a little 9x9 stone house with a door. And trying to not be murdered by giant turtles (to be fair I keep eating their eggs so it’s deserved).

Funniest glitch I’ve found so far is that once I was killed by an exile and as it was doing the death animation before I respawned somehow I was able to loot my own corpse. When I woke up at my bedroll I had all my stuff. No bad glitches so far for me but I’m not that far, I just learned how to make real torches.

I think the slider is even called “endowment”.

I only put it at 75% because I don’t want it getting in the way or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been considering picking this one up. Anyone still playing? If so, how’s it progressing?

I just started playing it in player versus environment, civilized mode.
It fits what I happened to be looking for very well. A spare time waster that is not too frustrating. A nice mix of optional paths to go down. Build stuff or fight stuff, explore the land. Or do all at the same time.
It would be a very challenging PVP game. Requiring a lot of work and attention. But PVE is a nice bit of holiday from real life PVP.
A friend has a PVE server that I will likely try out. But for now I am enjoying the game single player quite a lot.

I tried Conan Exiles for about a week, as it was one of the Humble Bundle games a while back. I prefer Kenshi for my wasteland survival fix, however major differences from Conan Exiles include automatic squad combat, automation, a lack of sorcery, and a UI straight outta 2006.

~Max