Confessions - Things you regret

I used to work at an amusement park. I was a Games Operator. I ran those games where tourists would pay money to get a chance to win prizes worth less than what they paid to play. Well, this one day, a group of kids about my age visited my games a couple times during the day. They learned my name, chatted a bit.

Well, in their last visit, they were acting fairly obnoxious, asking me to give them free prizes (prizes are counted rather obsessively), let them win, whatever. Then this one guy, said of this girl, “Look at this cute face, how can you resist.” I don’t know exactly why, but I responded, “I’m not impressed.” Probably because I had just conditioned myself by this point to deny every one of their arguments as to why I should risk my job giving them free shit. Well, I’d hurt her feelings, and she walks away. I hear that she is crying. They tell me that she’s “really sensitive about her looks.” (The girl was actually very attractive. If she hadn’t been, I never would have said what I did.) But I ultimately have no excuse. I felt absolutely terrible, and didn’t stop thinking about it for at least a month. And even then I didn’t stop, I just stopped obsessing over it. I’ll probably never see her again, never get to apologize, and of course I can never take it back, but I’d give almost anything if I could. I always fancy myself a “nice”, sensitive guy, but I made a thoughtless remark that hurt someone, and it just tears me up.

Carnie, get a life.

Tzel… Sure, the remark was harsh. But it’s not like it was undeserved (she was as guilty as they, by association if not by deed), and she should’ve known that your reaction was to their harrassment and attempt then at her face itself. In other words, it’s not like she was open and vulnerable, and it’s not like she was looking for your approval. Don’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

Tzel… Sure, the remark was harsh. But it’s not like it was undeserved (she was as guilty as they, by association if not by deed), and she should’ve known that your reaction was more to their harrassment and their attempt (at free prizes) than to her face itself. In other words, it’s not like she was open and vulnerable, and it’s not like she was looking for your approval. Don’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

Well, the girl had been flirting with me, so on some level, she may have been seeking my approval, and I should have been more careful about what I said. But whatever… :-/

Well, I guess I technically don’t regret it now because it got wrapped up but I’ll share a tale anyway. Fits in with the season.

New Year’s Eve two years ago. I was at my friend’s apartment with his wife, his sister-in-law (i.e. wife’s sister) and a couple of other people. I was 25 at the time. So anyway, after the whole NYE thing and everyone is drunk and retiring, us guestfolk made camp in the living room. Friend and wife go off to their room, everyone else is asleep except myself and the other principle player, Tina the sister-in-law who’s 18 at the time. We kiss. We actually kiss a fair bit. Afterwards, she goes into some spiel about how she’s had some thing for me since the dawn of time and she never thought that would happen because she was so much younger and I no doubt always thought of her as a kid and etc, etc, etc. Thing is, though, to me it was basically just kissing. She was a nice enough person and all and I had nothing really against her but had I known that she was going to take it as more than drunken New Year’s Eve messing around, I wouldn’t have done it. The next morning she made a point of tracking me down in another room where I had gone to in the morning to sleep further after others had awoken and kissing me again before she left.

I felt pretty bad about it because I had no intention of doing anything with this. I never brought it up with my friend because I felt like a cad at that point for “taking advantage” of this girl and felt awkward for the next year or so around here because now I felt like I not only led her on, but then copped out on it. This last NYE, I was with the friend and wife again and somehow this came up in conversation and the wife told me that (A) Tina had told her all about it the next day and so she knew all this time and (B) Tina had no hard feelings about it and her crush on me lasted about two entire weeks before she found some new guy to obsess over. Felt good to know, even after two years, that I wasn’t quite the lout I thought I was and hadn’t crushed anyone’s dreams :wink: