Connecting PC to HDTV with an HDMI cable - screen gets cut off

I’m trying to connect my widescreen laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable. It works, but no matter what resolution I set the laptop to there is about a half an inch around the screen that gets cut off when viewing it on the TV. Currently the laptop is set at 1920 x 1080 resolution, and the TV is a 40-inch 1080p so it should sync up without cutting out part of the image, right?

Maybe the answer is obvious but I’m not seeing any setting on the TV or on the computer that would correct it.

Check your graphics card settings for underscan/overscan and see if you can adjust that to make the image fit better. Some PC resolutions aren’t a 100% fit on TV screens because of the aspect ratio and others may be able to make a lot better use of the screen area. As an example I get full screen coverage in 1366768 but in 1440900 I get black bars that are so big even manual overscan can’t fully get rid of them, so try a couple different resolutions and see what works best.

Your TV’s zoom mode may be set to Overscan or similar. Try changing it to “1:1”, “Just Scan”, or whatever the no-zoom setting on your TV is called.

Doh, there is indeed an “Overscan” setting under the advanced settings on the TV that I missed, and that fixed it. Well, good to know. Thanks.