Conservatives not fans of making it easier to vote

This poll pretty much confirms what most people think about voting rights support in the 2 parties

Did you actually read the article? Because the thread title is disingenuous and the article doesn’t actually say what you think it says.

The headline looks alarming, as does the first chart, but if you read further, and look at the second chart, it looks pretty reasonable to me. No you shouldn’t be able to register to vote on the day of the vote; how can checks be done in such a short time? I see nothing wrong with removal of inaccurate data. And funnily enough, 86% of Republicans want electoral rolls automatically updated (thus making it easier to vote). And over 80% want a paper backup. And most want election day to be a national holiday, again making it easier to vote. Sure they don’t support these things to the same degree as Democrats but to say that Republicans are not fans of making it easier to vote is not just wrong but contradicted by the article itself.

The only real exception for me is that I think that felons who have served their time should get their votes back.

Here’s how it works over here in Scotland: periodically we have to return a form which creates a new electoral roll. If we’re on the electoral roll we get to vote. If we don’t complete the form we don’t get to vote. When we vote in person we present the card we were sent. If we don’t have the card we verify who we are to the polling station officers present. And we vote by paper ballot. So the possibility of fraud there is reduced too. It’s all very simple. And it works.

quite a few states allow you to register and vote on the same day during early voting. That’s true here in NC. They check your info out later and if it’s not correct then your votes are not counted. That’s called a provisional ballot - those ballots are also used if move close to the election date.

Emphasis added. Was that the actual poll question*? “Everything possible”? If so, that is one of the stupidest poll questions I can imagine and it would appear that Republicans generally have a lot more smarts than Democrats since doing “everything possible” would be absurd.

*Yep, I checked the source and that was the actual question.

In actual practice, based on what politicians (especially Republican politicians) do, the “updates” to the rolls consist entirely of removing people from them (such as Kemp removing 10% of Georgia’s voters from the rolls). I’ve never heard of any “automatic update” to the electoral rolls automatically adding people (the closest would be the so-called “motor voter” policies, which let your register to vote at the same time as applying for a driver’s license, but even those require you to check off a box on the form).

Voter purges based off of a mailer hit renters harder than home owners. And guess who are more likely to be renters than home owners. Certain policies enacted “targeting” student voters seem a little onerous. And guess who students tend to vote for? Oh, they have their “reasons” for each little aspect of this and some of those reasons can sound pretty good but when you look at the “big picture” you see that it’s all of a piece. No single act is going to tip an election, but the cumulative impact constitutes a real thumb on the scale of democracy.

Automatic updates don’t mean automatically registering people who aren’t registered. It means (to use a real world example) when I moved to a different town 3 1/2 years ago and updated my DL, my voter registration was updated with my new address. Before that, when I moved I’d have to register to vote again, even if I just moved across town. I didn’t even have to get a new license. Just went online, reported my new address, and printed out a confirmation to carry until my normal renewal time.

I agree that the more one reads up on Pew Research, the less faith one has in their competence, but I don’t think the question was quite that simple. Wasn’t it actually something like

"Which of these two statements comes closest to your view:

• Everything possible should be done to make it easy for every citizen to vote.
  • Citizens should have to prove they want to vote by registering ahead of time."
    (I can imagine a Democrat who agrees more with #2 in the abstract, nevertheless choosing #1 to express his feeling about malicious voter suppression by the GOP. I would.)

Either way the question has little to do with the real voting rights controversies. Many voters, especially black voters, find themselves unable to vote NOT because they failed to register, but because their registrations were voided by malicious Republican programs like IVRC/Crosscheck.

OK, Doug K., but is that how respondants interpreted that question?