Consider this...

Say I had a long rope (made from nylon). I tie this rope to some point above the ground. I climb the rope. After a certain height, I slide down the rope, holding the rope between my bare hands. “Ouch!” you say, “you’ll get rope burn!” Well, what happens if I did the same thing in, say, Antartica? With a frozen rope, will I still get rope burn sliding down it?

fishead.

Yes. Friction is friction.

Now my question.

Let’s say I have a length of rope. Of course, this rope has two ends and a middle. If I cut the two ends off of the rope, do I now have an endless rope?

Or, consider, is it possible to cut the ends off of a Bret Favre “frozen rope” and then have four ends?

Alternitively, where will this end?

[ul]BACK to the original question
:wink: [sup]no hijacking, please[/sup][/ul]

There is always the chance that your hands will freeze to the rope and you will hang there. Or that they freeze to the rope, even before you can start climbing.

Concerning those hijacks. There would be no end to the ends.

Well friction is friction and that is the point:
If the rope was covered in ice then you wouldn’t get burned because ice is an almost friction-less substance.

If the rope was not covered in ice but merely cold then it would be a fair fight between the heat caused by the friction VS the coldness of the rope.

I hereby declare this thread: Closed. :slight_smile:

-Andrew v

Nylon is a very poor conductor of heat, so even if the rope were cold, the heat from the friction wouldn’t have a chance to be conducted away into the cold core of the rope; you would still suffer friction burns, not to mention abrasion wounds.

My advice: use a ladder.