Construction Site Gates

Why do I sometimes, but not always, see construction sites with multiple entry gates marked for use by certain contractors?

"This gate for use only by employees of XYZ Electric. All others use gate on east side of site" Not always worded like that, but generally letting it be known that certain gates are for use only by a particular group.

Is it a union thing? Don’t they all play nice together? Or could it be a union vs. non-union thing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Possibly to direct people to the gate closest to the correct office. That way they can check in without crossing a potentially dangerous construction site. On some jobs there might not even be a way through the site; you would have to go around.

Starfish
That could be it, but I’m still guessing that it has something to do with unions, or union vs. non union trades.

Thanks for your input though.

What reason do you have for thinking that it’s a union/nonunion issue?

If you’re not an employee of XYZ Electric but need to visit the plant, then you probably need to talk to someone in Public Relations, Legal, Human Resources, or something like that. These offices will be removed from the operations area of the site. On the other hand, access to the operations areas will be restricted to employees and contractors for security reasons and to keep work running smoothly.

It’s a security issue. Routing non-employees to a different gate keeps them out of the way of the construction, thus keeping them out of the way of falling tools, heavy machinery, etc. Union/non-union has nothing to do with it.

It could also be due to traffic routing on the construcion site. That particular entrance might not be paved or compacted well enough to handle heavy traffic and they put up the signs to keep heavier vehicles like dump trucks from going where they shouldn’t go. It could also be that the electrical contractor is working on a buried cableway and doesn’t want other vehicles running over their open trench.

All good answers, I hope.

I thank you all for your input.

This came up in my labor law class back in the last century. If your contract specifies that you must enter a worksite through a particular gate, then you can picket at that gate and are protected under the law. If you picket at any other gate, federal labor law does not protect you.

For some university projects, you do assigned sub bidding, where each trade submits a price, the lowest is taken, and they are assigned to a general. Non-union can bid providing they pay a prevailing wage. The general has no say as to who they are working with; typically the subs are announced 48 hours in advance of the generals, to give them the option of increasing their fee if they feel someone will be difficult to work with. They’re careful about this, however, because they don’t want to price themselves out of a job.

I have been involved with projects where the general was union and one sub was non-union. There were seperate entrances for the two, who would typically work at different times (typically, union would refuse to be on the job site with non-union present).

With respect to the others who have posted, union / non-union can be an issue. Not saying it’s specifically one here, but I’ve seen it happen.
I’ll go talk to the old-timer and get some more info before I put my foot in it.

Thanks, Ich Bin’sI was thinking it was something along those lines. I guess I has a notion of what the answer should be. Generally not a good idea I know. I mean to stop at a site some time and ask, but usually there is no one around when I see the signs and wish to stop.

A fellow I work with has a son who just started an engineering career with McCarthy Construction here in St. Louis. I will ask him to ask his son to find out.

Thanks to DPWhite and all the other Dopers too.