Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

Not only does this story contain a controversial encounter between a cop and a civilian, it also features a controversial encounter between a cop and an ocean!

Constable Canute.

Officer Ahab.

From Hell’s heart I shoot at thee!

Turns out the Atlantic tested positive for the cracoPCPweed and had an extensive arrest record.

In WWII, many cargo ships containing guns and bombs were sunk by submarine warfare, and their contents never recovered.

That ocean was armed, is what I’m saying.

Plus, he fired the shots about an hour after low tide, which means the tide was coming in when he shot.

That ocean was coming right at him.

Police released a photo of the suspect

Not only that, but the ocean ignored repeated verbal warnings to stop coming at him.

Some good news out of the Supreme Court today. The court ruled that Roxanne Torres can pursue her lawsuit against officers for violation of her 4th amendment rights.

Torres was sitting in her car in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Two armed men approached her car and told her to get out. Thinking she was being carjacked, she gunned it and fled. The two men were cops, and they fired a bunch of shots into the car, hitting her twice. She got away, and later drover herself to hospital for treatment.

The police had been at the apartment complex to serve a warrant, but Torres did not live at the complex, and was not the person they was actually looking for.

When Torres sued the cops for violating her right against unreasonable search and seizure, the cops argued that, because she actually got away, she was never actually seized, despite the fact that they put two bullets in her. The lower federal courts ruled in favor of the cops, with the 10th Circuit arguing that “a suspect’s continued flight after being shot by police negates a Fourth Amendment excessive-force claim.”

The Supreme court overturned this ruling, holding that “The application of physical force to the body of a person with intent to restrain is a seizure even if the person does not submit and is not subdued.” They vacated the lower court ruling, and remanded for consideration of the other issues in the case.

This doesn’t mean that Torres wins. She now has to try and clear the rest of the hurdles that people suing the cops have to deal with, such as “the reasonableness of the seizure, the damages caused by the seizure, or the officers’ entitlement to qualified immunity.” The Supreme Court ruling explicitly said that its ruling does not address these issues.

This case was argued before Amy Coney Barrett joined the court. It was a 5-3 decision, with Chief Justice Roberts writing for the majority, joined by Sotomayor, Breyer, Kagan, and Kavanaugh. Gorsuch wrote a dissent, joined by Alito and Thomas.

Here’s the opinion (PDF).

I’m not going to go look for the original post that I’m sure is up there somewhere, but

Eric Garner chokehold cop Daniel Pantaleo loses appeal to get NYPD job back

Headline says it all.

Sad thing is that the cops wanted him back.

At least the police in Maryland know how to handle hardcore 5 year old criminals:

I came here to mention this, because NBC News just did a piece on it. Here’s the officials’ statements about it.

I had actually planned to start a thread about it, because in the NBC footage, a male voice says, “How do kids learn how to act like this at this age?” and a female voice replies, “This is why people need to beat their kids.”

Yeah, I think I know where he learned how to act that way.

Puerto Rico cops rammed a protesters’ kayak and forced the people into the water during a protest about ferry service to the island they live on.

Do police actually need a training seminar on why they should not arrest and handcuff a 5 year old? Seriously?

What’s next? A pamphlet for police on “Don’t do target practice on civilians sitting on their porches”? Do they have no fucking common sense at all??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/virginia-beach-police-chief-admits-cops-have-no-idea-if-black-man-shot-by-officer-was-armed/ar-BB1f2xeq

Virginia Beach, city police chief Paul Neudigate admitted to reporters late Saturday that there is no bodycam footage of the confrontation—and police have no idea if the man was armed.

Shocked, I am. Shocked that…

Lynch was killed at the hands of police as officers responded to a gunfight they said erupted while they were dealing with another, unrelated shooting nearby

And they didn’t think THAT was important enough to turn their body cams on for…

Two days later, now he definitely had gun.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/cops-now-say-uva-grad-slain-by-police-was-brandishing-a-handgun/ar-BB1f6qBg

I mean, now that we had our little powwow, and talked amongst ourselves, we now remember a gun. Not only had one, but was brandishing it! Its obvious now that we think about it.

Yup, he had a gun fersure. And he headed straight for us!

You would be able to see it plain as day…if any of us turned our body cams on…

Austin, Texas:

Misogynists and miscreant. A perfect police recruit:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/former-alabama-police-officer-pleads-guilty-to-murdering-wife/ar-BB1fdd3E?li=BBnb7Kz

A number of studies have found that police families experience domestic violence rates at least three times, and as much as four times, the national average.