Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

I am sure he will retiring with full pension soon.

Another “nope; fuck you”:

Well, I bet there are some Dopers here who don’t understand how undercover sex crime stings are conducted:

​​Three current and former female Harris County Precinct 1 deputies accused high-ranking law enforcement members of sexual assault, in a lawsuit filed Monday.

The lawsuit alleges that the three women, who had no previous training in undercover operations, were handpicked for so-called “bachelor party stings,” an idea they say was proposed to Constable Alan Rosen by Assistant Chief Chris Gore.

Gore’s “bachelor party” operations had male and female deputies undercover in a party-like atmosphere, with the men posing as buyers and the women posing as sex workers, according to the lawsuit.

From the article:

[regarding an internal affairs investigation]

Ultimately, Rosen said the unit found no violations.

“Each employee interviewed was given the opportunity, in a safe environment, to express any concerns,” he said.

and then:

Court documents say Aluotto, who worked with the precinct, was fired one day after reporting the alleged misconduct to the Precinct One Internal Affairs Office.

So yeah, I’m sure they felt real safe accusing their bosses of sexual harassment in the interviews.

The US doesn’t have a monopoly on misconduct.

How does this jackass still have his job?

Lying to police? Isn’t that something peasants would generally get in trouble for?

Tacoma:

More on the murder of Manuel Ellis; this is really fucked up:

St. Charles, MO:

These bombs were functional and publicly placed, yet the white guy who wanted to kill black people only got 60 daus in jail.

What if he had been black?

This is troubling: Patrisse Cullors: Black Lives Matter co-founder resigns

Not so much that she has issues, but that a 501(c)3 using the BLM name is depicted as the BLM organization. There is no actual BLM organization that people have membership in, which makes it more genuine and effective, but now the anti-BLM types have a scandal they can point at.

Turns out black people have no civil rights.

Louisiana officers strip search teen and enter home without warrant (msn.com)

He would been shot for threating officers and resisting arrest. Probably tasered and beaten as well.

That link was really wonky for me; I found these local news stories:

I agree with this statement:

All 3 officers charged in Manuel Ellis’s death have pled not guilty.

Former Pennsylvania police chief pleads guilty for threatening to arrest a private citizen for his Facebook posts criticizing him and the police force.

The Met Police officer in charge of the operation where the entirely innocent Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead not only still has her job, but is now the highest ranking police officer in London, so there is precedent.

For me, this is the single most important reason why police (ab)use of force is such an important issue. You can talk all day long about whether or not the suspect deserved it because of how they acted or their criminal past, or about protecting society, or about real or imagined (or made up) police fear of harm…but, what if you’re wrong? What if you’re just plain wrong and this person has done nothing at all? Then you’ve just harmed someone, or killed them for no real reason at all.
And that does nothing to protect society.

More than that, it actively harms society, which relies on the police to maintain order. If the citizens start losing faith in the officers of the peace, they start to lose faith in the fundamental concept of law and order. Eventually people stop caring about whether or not what they are doing is legal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/black-oklahoma-man-faces-1st-degree-murder-charge-after-killing-white-alleged-burglar/ar-AAKBCBO?li=BBnb7Kz

“I feel like this was an injustice for the simple fact that if the roles were reversed, if this was a white person inside the facility, he would not be in this situation,” Bratcher’s wife, Vicky Bratcher, told Yahoo News in a video interview.

He is absolutely right.

Christ! They settled for $35,000? And one of them was in jail for 5 months? And the officers still have their jobs? That family must have had the worst attorney in the state. Maybe in the country.