Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread

I don’t get why people pretend not to have said things they said, assume that people will forget having read their posts, and refuse to stand behind their positions and deal with the consequences of them.

Life is just full of mysteries, I guess.

You are a dishonorable person, and my opinion of you is considerably lower than it was prior to this exchange.

So I’m pitting you for lying about me:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=835614

Exactly. This is like the time you admitted you get a sexual trill when the police kill innocent black people. Then you repeatedly denied you ever said it. Stand behind your words, buddy.

My response, sexual or otherwise, to any killing isn’t based on the race of the person killed.

Either you bring up the quote or stop beating your wife. Your call.

It may not be over. In THIS case, thanks to video, Detective Payne may not be able to sweep it under the rug THIS time. Additionally…

The reason nurse Alex Wubbels was refusing to allow Detective Payne to draw blood from a patient is because the patient was a victim in a fatal accident. The patient was not accused of any crimes, had not been arrested, was not conscious to give consent—but he was a victim of a deadly accident resulting from a high speed police chase. Attorney Owen Barcala offered one theory on Twitter:

He (Barcala) thinks it was part of an attempted cover-up. The patient was the victim of a head on crash, instigated by a high speed pursuit - against department policy.
The other driver, the suspect, died in the crash. So why did the detective want a blood sample so desperately? To disparage the surviving victim and excuse the police from the deadly car chase.

No probable cause. It’s not a case that they didn’t want to go to the effort of getting a warrant, they knew no judge would sign one.

Also, the Supreme Court decision holding it unconstitutional to draw blood w/o consent or warrant came down last year.

The detective is a trained phlebotomist in the police blood draw unit. There is no way he was unaware of a SCOTUS case that directly controlled his work.

So this is incredible in that it is actually worse than the video shows --it’s criminal abuse of power in at least three ways.
Were Detective Payne and his supervisor so eager to get a blood sample from William Gray in the hopes of finding something they could later point to in an effort help another police department cover their ass after a deadly chase?

And for what it’s worth, the patient has been identified as Idaho resident William Gray, a full-time truck driver who also happens to be a Rigby police officer. His department thanked nurse Wubbles for protecting Gray’s rights
Detective Payne’s supervisor (the guy on the phone in the video) was also placed on leave, pending further investigation.
This incident has finally woken up SOME (but obviously not all) police apologists. They usually say people need to just do what they are told and if they have a problem they can bring it up after they are arrested.

This incident and the one when the cop killed the woman who had called them should have been a wake up call.

The other thing that needs to end is the jury nullification just because a cop claimed he feared for his life - like the cop who repeatedly shot a man in the back, dropped an item by the corpse and then claimed he was scared, or the guy who gunned down Tamir Rice (after being declared UNFIT on another city’s department).

What struck me from watching the entire video was how truly corrupt this police department is on so many levels. When all was said and done, they did nothing at all and the officers remained on active duty until such time that the nurse’s attorney released the video to the media & they caught the shit storm from the public.

A first responder bullying and assaulting a fellow first responder. Truly appalling.

Two first responders. Here’s Lieutenant James Tracy.

As soon as the story broke Payne’s body cam video was out in the media. How can a FOIA request get handled that quickly & video released?

It doesn’t happen that fast.

One or more of his fellow officers forwarded the video to the media.

So much for “the blue line always looks out for their own”…

CITE, Steophan, DO YOU SPEAK IT??

The nurse’s attorney released the video to the media citing that 5 weeks after the incident, the officer who assaulted her client was still on active duty. The nurse said she needed some time to process everything before she was ready to have it hit the media, so she had her lawyer wait until she felt ready.

In other words… the blue line performed as it usually does.

Bingo.

Why bother engaging with a bot?

Some cops are crooks, and many others turn a blind eye? Bust the unions!
The stock market went down? Bust the unions!
My car won’t start? Bust the unions!
That hot guy/gal won’t put out? Bust the unions!

Exactly. As usual.

Probably the one who knows how to post a cite.

CCSD responds

So, if I hear gunshots (assuming I realize that is what I am hearing), I should not take cover or attempt to get the fuck away from the scene. Especially if I am a very large black man.

And the Vegas police union asked the NFL to investigate Bennett for “obvious” lies, and prodded him and them for sitting for the national anthem. Not the best look for them, IMO.

When you look at the video, you can see lots of white people hiding and running.

Then they’re guilty too. :cool: