Converting old slides to pictures and/or jpegs

Hi all,

My dad has a collection of slides from back when he was stationed in Europe in the military during the late 60s. These are one of his most prized possessions, and I was hoping to convert them to a more useable format, such as photographs for maybe electronic files.
I’m not too sure what kind of slides that are exacltly… maybe 35mm? I know they fit on those circular carousels…

Anyway, I’m looking for any feedback regarding what my options are to convert these. I believe I can get an adaptor for a computer scanner, but he has around 500 of them which I believe would have to be scanned individually?

Does anyone know how much it might cost to have a lab convert them, or of any easier/cheaper way to get this done?

Thanks,

Joe

The best answer may depens on the resolution you want from them. Do you want to print 11x14 or just display them on a TV or computer screen? Good scanners are costly but HP makes one for less than $400 though I can’t vouch for the quality.

I’m looking for a mid solution myself so may get a slide copying attachment for my digital camera. I’ve got a Minolta Dimage 7 which has 5mp resolution but will need an additional closeup lens to do slides as the built in macro capability isn’t quite enough to fill the camera’s view with a 24x36mm film frame. I thought I had a link for a slide copy attachment but it may be at home. I’ll probably just build a mount for an existing Nikon slide copy attachment I already have.

I get my slides developed, mounted, printed and scanned onto a CD for about 12 pounds (18 dollars) from a lab on Guernesey (7day.com). I’m sure there’d be a similarly priced US lab.

The above price is for a roll of 36. If you really want them all, buying your own scanner might be more economical, but I would suggest just choosing the best 150 or so.

You can buy slide-scanner attachments for flatbed scanners. These are basically just a light source which replaces the scanner lid and provides backlight through the slide. I’ve been very successful scanning slides with a homemade backlight: incandescent desk lamp with a couple of sheets of white paper taped over the shade to provide a diffuser, positioned a few inches above a group of slides on the scanner, scanned at as high a resolution as possible.

I have a HP PhotoSmart scanner that does a fine job on slide, 35mm negative strips, and prints up to 5"x7".

Mine’s Scuzzy, but the newer models are USB. You want about 2400 PPI actual resolution for 35mm slides.

Thanks, all for the replies.

GaryM - do you scan many slides at once, or one at a time?

Thanks,

Thanks, all for the replies.

GaryM - do you scan many slides at once, or one at a time?

Thanks,

Joe

There are two great Microtek scanners.I bought this one last year. Make sure you get the slide attachment.
I bought this one this year because I wanted to scan my medium format film. This one has a 4"x5" built in slide attachment in the lid.

The second one is about $180. The first one you can get for about $100. The resolution for the second one is better. Very good for the price. You can’t beat the Microtek scanning software, for scanning software anyway.