Cooks: Help with the sequence of events.

The recipe is “pork chops and gravy”. It’s a Cajun recipe.
I have green bell pepper, onion, chicken broth, flour and spices.

I plan to pan fry the PC’s then I want to take the remaining ingredients and make a nice gravy .

What’s the best way to do this?

Thanks for any input.

Pan fry the pork chops in some oil/butter/whatever, along with the chopped onion and bell pepper and the spices. When chops are done, remove them from pan, tent loosely with tinfoil to stay warm.

Add a couple tablespoons of flour to the pan and whisk for a minute or two. Don’t allow it to burn, but it can brown a little. Do let it cook at least a minute - you need it to absorb the fat and get rid of the floury taste.

Slowly pour in about a cup of chicken stock, whisking all the while. Voila, gravy.

Thanks. I couldn’t remeber if I should do the veggies before or after or with the meat. It’s been a while since I made this dish. But the above is how I was taught to do it as a kid. :slight_smile:

I dunno, depending on how large you cut the veggies… if I’m doing something like this, I’ll usually do the poke chops (or steak or what have you) by itself so I can really crank up the heat and get a nice sear on it. Then add finely chopped veggies, and sweat/saute them, then sprinkle flour over top and continue as above.

Some people might object to having gravy with chunks of vegetables in it, but thankfully they’re not eating it :smiley:

I also add the vegetables after I get a good sear on the meat, or even after I remove the meat entirely. If you’re adding a lot of veggies, you can sometimes get a little steaming or even boiling of the meat as water cooks out of them, which isn’t at all what I want.

Either way, make sure to remove the veggies before adding the flour for the roux because they interfere with browning and can easily burn in the process.

General tips for a roux:

1. Have the water or stock sitting right by the stove before you add the flour. You want it within reach so you don’t have to stop stirring to go get it. That way lies burnt roux.

2. Once you add the flour, stir constantly.

3. The roux will lighten considerably when you add water/stock. If you want a proper brown gravy for a Cajun dish, you need to brown the flour pretty thoroughly. I aim for reaching the color of milk chocolate before adding water, but that’s a touchy goal if you don’t have much experience with the process.

4. Stir!

5. Once you’ve got your water/stock thoroughly mixed in, add the veggies (and possibly some of the meat, if you have extra) back to the gravy and let it simmer, stirring regularly. The longer it all simmers together, the better it will get. (Remember to add more water if it starts to get too thick, though–you don’t want it to burn.)

Paging BMalion

I can add nothing to the above, both are making me hungry!

Although I prefer duck stock to chicken stock, there is no wrong way.