Pithy
Usurped
Duodenum
Dichotomy
Caterwauling
Chartreuse
Cantankerous

osmyrrah

Rhythm: all those consonants and no real vowel. And it conjures up so much. And if you put “syncopated” in front of it, you just marvel at the combination.

ipso facto

When I was about 12, I knew a boy who liked saying duodenum, which he pronounced doo-WAD-en-um. Another friend from that time was really into monster movies, and he pronounced grotesque as GROTS-kew.

Gorn. Gorn – it’s got a sort of woody quality about it. Gorn. Go-o-orn. Much better than ‘newspaper’ or ‘litter bin’.

skulduggery

I forgot to include a favorite that my dad used all the time: cogitate.

As best I can read IPA wiki suggests that’s a decent alternate pronunciation.

Susurration, scintillation, and succotash

Nice. Extra points for alliteration.

was trying for syncopation

Maundering trollop

Desquamating lymphohistiocytic dermal excoriation with eosinophilic fasciitis

Dorothy Parker once said that based on sound alone, overlooking meaning, the loveliest words in English (imagine them with her elocution lessons, trans-Atlantic accent) are “Cellar door.”

Say them over a few times, and she has a point.

Zephyr

Bum’s rush

Besotted :cry: RSVP

Garmonbozia

I have some Supersonic Shoes. Really.

Supersonic shoes? I’m listening.

Another one I like…

Hoodoos (or fairy chimneys).

I have some cool pictures of some of the ones near here

My Dad flew the F-86 and F-100 Super Sabre, first operational SS fighters. He kept a pair of old boots that had exceeded the sound barrier (this was a much bigger deal back in the day). They are sitting over my beer fridge in the garage. The leather is petrified and all curled up. Not much to look at if you don’t know what they are.

That’s badass! My dad was in the Air Force (not a pilot), and my grandpa was in the Army Air Corps I love jets!