Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2022 Breaking News

Japan:

Europe:

Here’s some news (gifted link):

As of Monday, Colorado, Oregon, Louisiana, Maryland and Virginia had declared public health emergencies or authorized crisis standards of care, which allow hospitals and ambulances to restrict treatment when they cannot meet demand.

I guess you missed that omicron cases are already starting to drop in many places, and are likely to drop as quickly as they went up.

I hope you’re not imagining that the current situation will continue as it is in the long term. Viruses tend to become less harmful over time, populations become more resistant, vaccines and treatments keep improving.

Every epidemic ends or goes down to a liveable level sooner or later. We may be seeing the last big wave.

Covid should be treated as an endemic virus similar to flu, and ministers should end mass-vaccination after the booster campaign, the former chairman of the UK’s vaccine taskforce has said.

Dix was instrumental in helping pharmaceutical firms create the Covid vaccines that have transformed the risk to most people. He said he supported the current booster campaign, but a “new targeted strategy” was needed to get the UK to a position of “managing Covid”. He added: “We should consider when we stop testing and let individuals isolate when they are not well and return to work when they feel ready, in the same way we do in a bad influenza season.”

…I guess you’ve missed that over the last two years of the pandemic cases have gone up…then gone back down again. Then they’ve gone back up, then down. It would be presumptuous of anyone to say that we are at the end of the cycle, and not just in the middle of another series of waves.

I’m not presuming anything. But this has nothing to do with “learning to live with” anything, let alone assuming that China will fail to contain the latest series of outbreaks.

Or we might not be. And if we aren’t: then it’s entirely sensible to not just “let it rip”, and to continue to mitigate the spread as much as possible where you can.

And there are plenty of well qualified people that disagree with Dr Dix. “Stoping trying to halt the spread” and “managing the disease” sounds an awful lot like “Herd Immunity” and Great Barrington Declaration nonsense to me.

So you can’t explain why it is inevitable. Gotcha. And this is no longer a breaking news discussion, so I’ll end it here.

You are seeing the survivor effect. Some species are believed to have gone extinct due to epidemic disease.

No, i don’t think covid will drive humanity extinct. That’s never seemed plausible. But it’s possibly it will permanently shorten our expected life span.

Oops, good point. Now that I’m moderating this forum i need to be more careful about that.

Moderating: please take any further discussion of how we ought to respond, the inevitably of any result, etc. to another thread, either the omicron thread or a new one.

And a mod note to myself for going on too long.

They finally updated the Johns Hopkins site. Most states are in the red, there are more additions to the Record Daily High COVID cases reported (7-day average) as of January 9 and 10 than at first appear

Connecticut – 10370
Delaware – 3185
Florida – 79779 on January 9
Pennsylvania – 26981 on Jan 9
Virginia – 19003
Michigan – 24053
North Carolina – 24914
Indiana – 13455 on Jan 9
Louisiana – 11580 on Jan 9
Oklahoma – 8374
Colorado – 15268
New Mexico – 3376
Nevada – 5196
Utah – 8506 on Jan 9
Arizona – 15795
Alaska – 1735
Washington (state) – 16175
Oregon – 7311 on Jan 9
California – 104703
Hawaii – 4206 on Jan 9

13 on the 10th and 8 on the 9th

US as a whole jogged upwards again.

Here’s some news:

Did Florida switch back to reporting daily Covid numbers instead of weekly on Friday? I’m looking at Worldometer and I see they reported 47,709 cases today on a Tuesday.

314,090,366 total cases
5,521,031 dead
261,659,479 recovered

In the US:

63,390,876 total cases
863,896 dead
42,641,852 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

Puerto Rico:

Very few additions to the New Record Daily Covid Case Reports as of January 11 2022

California – 111659
Oklahoma – 8017
Colorado – 18290
Pennsylvania – 28547
Virginia – 18596
Georgia – 30296

The US caseload is down from its peak a few days ago.

I was just logged into my patient account at UCHealth in Colorado, and this was the top news item. This is for their hospital network, so not including other hospitals in the state.

Class Unvaccinated Vaccinated
Hospitalized 256 108
ICU 89 20
Ventilator 68 7
About 80% of adults in Colorado are vaccinated.

Additionally over 25% of tests are returning a positive result, and they estimate 1 in 10 people in Colorado currently has COVID-19. \frac{2}{3} of patients in the hospital who test positive came to the hospital for non-COVID reasons (a ski injury, for example); fortunately most of those are not needing treatment for COVID-19.

I saw another article saying that total hospital beds and ICU beds in Colorado are down, because of (primarily COVID-19 related) staffing shortages.

“At a Senate hearing Tuesday, Fauci said that unvaccinated people are 20 times likelier to die, 17 times likelier to be hospitalized and 10 times likelier to be infected than the vaccinated. In that same session, acting commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration Janet Woodcock said that “it’s hard to process what’s actually happening right now, which is most people are going to get covid.”

317,319,184 total cases
5,529,994 dead
262,769,645 recovered

In the US:

64,344,694 total cases
866,882 dead
42,805,090 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

Two compounds found in hemp have been found to inhibit infection by Covid. I don’t know if they’re found in mj, but most likely are. They’ve only tested against alpha and beta variants; they need more money to test against delta and omicron

New results from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus site on Daily new reported COVID cases (7-day average):

New record highs as of January 12 from

New Hampshire – 3700
Massachusetts – 27494
Connecticut – 11368
Virginia – 23555
Georgia – 35031
North Carolina – 28582
Wisconsin – 16706
Illinois – 35129
Indiana – 13068
Kentucky – 9269
Tennessee – 19380
Minnesota – 12783
North Dakota – 1488
South Dakota – 2125
Oklahoma – 9394
Montana – 1317 – first new record high since Nov 2020
Wyoming – 972 – ditto
Colorado – 21426
New Mexico – 4753
Idaho – 1659 – first new record since Nov 2020
Nevada – 6696
Utah – 11045
Alaska – 1946
Washington (state) – 19529
Oregon – 8811
California – 19078

26 states set new record highs yesterday. Many others did in the past few days.
The US as a whole set a new daily record (7-day average) of 859006 yestrerday

https://apnews.com/article/omicron-changing-news-outlets-covid-data-da9272f7c4c8a109c3bfb56bed9e9c76

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/put-ya-lighters-study-finds-132414748.html

Scientists from Oregon State University and Oregon Health & Sciences University published a new peer-review study that examined three cannabis compounds that are found in THC and CBD: cannabigerolic acid, which scientists dubbed CBG-A; tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, known as THC-A; and cannabidiolic acid, or CBD-A.

After extracting them from the plant, the biological compounds were then incubated with the spike protein from COVID-19 (SARS-COV-2 virus) and were injected into human epithelial cells after 24 hours. Scientists discovered that the virus’s cells had been miraculously treated by the CBDA and CBGA compounds. The cells had no trace of the COVID-19 RNA, essentially blocking high concentrations of the virus from entering.

Spark up, everybody! Oh, wait…

[R]esearchers said the compounds would most likely have to be consumed in the form of a pill or liquid in order for people to truly experience their benefits