Coronavirus general discussion and chit-chat

I think the experts say that it will be, but I think it doesn’t qualify yet. I’m seeing predictions of it becoming endemic in the next year or two.

I hope it does wind up no riskier than influenza, though that’s still significant, considering it is being added to that existing risk.

I don’t think it will necessarily tell if you’d had covid, but significant time had passed. The antibodies stop circulating after 6+ months or so. So you can most likely only find out if you’ve recently had covid.

And many people seem to be getting tired of caring what they think.

Too bad the measures that would make them do the right thing (second tier medical attention, vaccination mandates) generally require their approval.

I fail to see how you can believe that Covid will be endemic, and yet believe that there will ever be an “end” as you define it. It seems to me that those are genuinely 100% opposites.

I believe that we will reach a point where vaccines + prior infection are good enough against the endemic strains that almost all infections are minor. And by minor, I mean you might have unpleasant symptoms for a couple days or two weeks, but then you get better on your own.

Before covid, I tried to avoid people with symptoms of ordinary colds, and if I had a cold, I didn’t go out and dance. But neither did I ever worry that if I organized something, someone might catch a cold. I considered that an acceptable risk to run.

Almost every human disease you’ve heard of that’s caused by an infection is an endemic disease. No one recognizes an ongoing meningitis pandemic, for example – but the disease is endemic.

And yet it’s been well-documented by this point that the mildness or severity of symptoms is not a guarantee of anything.

The majority of individuals who experience mild or moderate COVID-19 infection also experience long COVID, or persistent symptoms more than 30 days after they test positive, according to data from the longitudinal CoVHORT study at the University of Arizona Health Sciences.

To the best of our current knowledge–
As long as Covid is endemic, there will always be a risk of long Covid.

Which makes your above assertions both bizarre and contradictory. How can you possibly believe that there is no risk of contracting long Covid at the same time that you recognize a possibility of contracting Covid?

Outgoing NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins speaking out:

The preview box hits the high point.

I think you misunderstood my point. I think it’s “minor” if BOTH the acute phase is manageable at home, and ALSO if you get better after that. “Better” includes no long covid symptoms.

I expect that the risk of long covid will diminish. Partly, we will have appropriate immunity. Partly, we will have appropriate treatments to prevent it. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but there’s nothing contradictory in my expectations.

Also, I haven’t read the article you linked, but I’ve read a lot of other articles on long covid. I’ve never seen any other article claim 2/3 have long covid. I’ve seen numbers more like 10%. Fwiw, I know three people who died from covid, but none who recovered and still have symptoms.

Hub’s shut-in best friend is anti-vax (I’m sure everyone is surprised by this news.). Said friend is in terrible health because all doctors are quacks who are just trying to steal everyone’s money or something. He’s been in the ER 4 or 5 times this year over heart and breathing issues but gets mad when the doctors tell him something he doesn’t want to hear and checks himself out AMA.

So, he’s bad enough now that he needs a bypass (triple, I think) but the surgeon won’t operate on anyone who isn’t vaccinated. I think the idiot (hubs’ friend, not the surgeon) will make it to Christmas. Maybe.

His death won’t be listed as COVID, but it certainly is. IMO.

In the news…

Will this be a prophetic statement?

Sarah Palin gave a speech opposing vaccination, and said she would get a shot ‘over my dead body’

And…

‘Supporters of former President Donald Trump booed and jeered when he announced on Sunday that he had received a COVID-19 booster shot and was in favor of the vaccine.’

Presented here to see if people here think anything about it one way or the other. Might make it a thread topic basis we’ll see.

I’ve been wearing a mask on long plane flights for more than a decade. I did it because the extremely dry air in airplanes bothers me, not because I was trying to reduce the spread of disease (in either direction) except for the very first time I did it, when I had a mild cold and a box of face masks, and a flight I needed to take. So I decided to try one of those masks. It was the most comfortable flight I’d had in years, so I continued wearing them.

(This is also why I started this pandemic with a box of surgical masks in my cupboard.)

So… I’m in favor. I hope that eventually things normalize enough that we can take off the masks briefly to eat and drink.

Aren’t all of the Palin children except Trig adults by now? Up to them and not her if they (and the grandkids) get the shot.

Y’know, the man for once says something that at least makes internal sense (he does not support the mandate, it should be each person’s choice, and he chose to do it) and a part of his public reacts badly (to the point even he says “that’s just a few”).

(this jibes with one common theory: DJT’s followers are such not because they support him, but because they expect he supports them; so when it comes to “make your own choice” they are disappointed his choice is different from theirs.)

Any tips for adjusting an N95 to fit my face so it actually works like it’s supposed to? I spent quite a while trying to punch the nose piece and shift the ear loops and I still feel like the fit was precarious, one head turn away from me feeling my exhaling from the top and fogging my glasses. I just couldn’t get it to a point where I felt confident that it was on as well as it could’ve been.

Is it a KN95? Certified N95s don’t have ear loops. Head straps are part of the standard.

Different masks fit differently. I could never get a great seal with KN95 masks. You might look at some KF94, or N95s. N95s come in different styles, too. I get a great fit with the Moldex Airwave 4200, which has a foam piece on the inside of the nose area, but my spouse can’t get it to fit right.

Just generally, for a mask with a nose wire, it often helps for me to put my glasses on top of the mask on my nose.

Yes, KN95, sorry. I’m not familiar enough with the designations to know the differences.

Some people swear by folding the top edge of the mask under, so there’s a tiny bit that’s doubled there. That didn’t work for me, but we all have different faces.

There have been some threads on mask recommendations. I’ll see if I can link one.

This one is fairly recent and has some links for good masks. I think there have been some on mask fitting and wearing with glasses as well, which is more your question, I guess. I’ll see if I can find one of those.

Investigators said Deputy Robert James Haney, a nearly 23-year veteran of the sheriff’s office, also copied a co-worker’s completed vaccination card and intended to use the information on it to falsify his own card and the other blank cards that he planned to share with family, according to the sheriff’s office.

Haney, 50, will resign from his job in one week and relinquish his certification as a sheriff’s deputy, according to the sheriff’s office. He also faces a $500 fine.

I’ve mentioned hubs’ anti-vax friend up thread. He is still in the hospital, he still needs stents and hernia surgery. The stents were going to happen today, but they weren’t able to put a medical team together for another un-vaccinated patient because nobody wanted to risk exposure enough to treat him for something that wasn’t killing him right away. Plus they were busy with the other idiots.

Despite how angry I am at the idiot, if someone would hand me a filled syringe, I’d jab him despite his whining about rights and shit.

People like him are the reason this shit is still going on. Give me a list and I’ll go undercover and jab all of the idiots I can get my hands on.