Cosmos: A Waste of Spacetime

It was a deliberate decision by the makers of the new Cosmos (McFarland, Tyson, Druyan, et al.) to put the series on a commercial channel rather than PBS. There are too many people who simply won’t watch PBS no matter what. This way they get people watching it who ordinarily don’t see science series. It was a deliberate decision by the makers to have the first episode be somewhat introductory, so people with a reasonable amount of astronomical knowledge will be saying, “Come on, get to something I don’t know.” That episode is aimed at people with little astronomical knowledge. The later episodes will be deeper apparently. This is what it says in various articles I’ve read recently about the new Cosmos.

Let’s not pretend that the old Cosmos was that utterly brilliant. Yes, it taught a lot of astronomical knowledge. Unfortunately, it also had a lot of scenes of Sagan simply standing there and supposedly looking handsome and inspiring. Furthermore, it had some things in it which were no more than Sagan’s personal obcessions. One that I remember was that he talks at one point about subatomic universes, although he says that it may never be possible to prove or disprove it. Subatomic universes make no sense in modern physics. They make have made a little sense in the short period after introduction of the model of the atom as if it were like a solar system but before the introduction of quantum theory. Now it’s just nonsense that people smoking dope talk about when they are high (as in a scene in Animal House). Incidentally, Sagan smoked a lot of dope.

Who (or what) is (or was) Bruno?

Giordano Bruno
Suggested there were countless stars that were just like the Sun and had planets with life. Was burned at the stake for, among other things: “denial of the Trinity, denial of the divinity of Christ, denial of virginity of Mary, and denial of Transubstantiation.” (Wikipedia)

I wrote:

> . . . Sagan’s personal obcessions . . .

I meant:

> . . . Sagan’s personal obsessions . . .

I wrote:

> . . . They make have made a little sense . . .

I meant:

> . . . They may have made a little sense . . .

Seriously shut up about the commercials. It’s a broadcast channel that’s not PBS. You sound like someone who has never watched TV before. “OMG the commercial television watching is so terrible because commercials!” Really a stupid thing to complain about. I don’t hear anything different in NGT’s delivery than when he does NOVA ScienceNOW.

Perhaps, just maybe, the delivery has to do with modern sound-bite audiences who are constantly multi-tasking, and whose attention is difficult to keep. They’re not trying to hold your attention, they’re trying to hold the attention of the Fox Network Sunday evening demographic, who have their phones, laptops, and tablets going at the same time as the show. The modern viewing audience is a whole world (dare I say universe?) different than it was when Sagan’s series aired. Of course there’s no room for contemplation and long explanations, good grief! Talk about a sure way to make people change the channel!

As to the rest of your complaints, carry on.

I actually thought it was very non-Church-bashing. Cosmos is about science and the universe, yes, but it’s also as much about the wonder and awe that can be inspired by a look at everything around us. I think that showing Bruno’s idea of an infinite universe created by his infinite God was a beautiful way of making it all more accessible to those who still have a science vs religion mentality. The universe is amazing and infinite and wonderful - and whether you see it as God’s creation or a purely natural phenomenon, that wonder doesn’t go away.

I agree that it was extremely light on science (at least , to my liking), but that’s sort of the point. To inspire people who don’t know much about any of this. I’ll bet that there are tons of people who didn’t know that Saturn’s rings are essentially made from millions of little snowballs. And now they do. And maybe they’ll go to Wikipedia to look up more.

Yes, the ads are annoying. But putting it on PBS would have kept the audience so much smaller. There are already tons of wonderful programs on PBS that cover these topics - Cosmos is supposed to get people interested enough to maybe consider changing channels once in a while.

If you can’t describe the Big Bang as an “explosion”, how *would *you describe it? It was (as I understand it) a sudden, rapid expansion with a thermal gradient over time- how is that not best described to laymen as an explosion?

I haven’t had a chance to watch the episode yet, but I don’t understand the problem with using the word “explosion” to describe the Big Bang. It was an explosion:

Apparently the NatGeo broadcast has extra material. DVR it off of that.

OK, just finished it. My take first off is that I liked it. I liked it a lot and I’m very glad it’s being done. I’m accepting of the fact that many of the aforementioned shortcomings (which I agree with) are actually to its benefit in terms of what good it can do culturally. (the commercials, being on FOX instead of PBS, the sorta sound-bite chaptering…). I want this to reach people who would otherwise remain ignorant of basic science and the awe and wonder of the natural world.

So I’m happy and eagerly awaiting the next episode…

BUT,

There’s no getting around the comparison to Sagan, and on that front, it’s just lacking. Seriously lacking. It’s a very good science documentary and it feels that way, but somehow Sagan’s had this incredible sense of depth and contemplation. This was something I feared just from seeing the difference in the 2 personalities. NDT is not good alone in front of a camera without people. He’s at his best during the Q&A’s at the end of a talk where he just get energized by the interaction, or moderating a panel discussion. On screen he often looks over-rehearsed and awkward trying to figure out just how to swing his arms when he walks. He’s putting a lot of effort into delivering those lines and you feel it in his voice. Sagan never seemed to be reading from a script. He just kinda spoke to you and you could feel his own awe and wonder at the same time. It’s actually amazing to see just how genuine he manages to come across.

Agreed with all on the whole Bruno animation segment.

On the initial ship of the imagination voyage - What Sagan did was totally brilliant. He started the journey from far away and took us gradually to Earth. It was profoundly moving to start out lost somewhere in the distant cosmic ocean and to slowly find our way to the local group, to the Milky Way, to our solar system, and finally to home. It’s such a stunningly beautiful segment and one that makes me tear up watching it. By NDT starting on Earth and then going outward, it just doesn’t have that profound sense of weight. I would’ve started from the edge of the observable universe, made to the journey to Earth, and then asked the question about what’s beyond the observable universe in order to quickly shot back out there and then introduce the multiverse.

Also, one of the aspects of Sagan’s Cosmos that worked on a subconscious level was the fact that almost all shots of him in a town or among society took place in pre-industrial settings. You rarely saw cars or electric lights. You saw candles, horses and buggies, old machinery… This back drop subconsciously creates an environment that allows one to easily imagine the process of scientific exploration happening. We know intuitively how much there is still to learn and you get a sense of how, historically, humans have worked to figure things out. Seeing NDT walk down modern streets with cars in the background just feels flat.

Again, I’m enjoying it, I’m glad it’s happening. BUT, every now and again, maybe once or twice a year, I get an urge to watch on old episode of Sagan’s Cosmos, and afterward I feel contemplative and perhaps, dare I say it, somewhat spiritual. I can’t imagine having that same urge in the future with Tyson’s.

I liked it, but during the animations I was waiting for Bruno to start yelling “Lana! Lana! LAAAAANAAA!”

(in short, the animations looked like Archer to me)

IIRC, the original Cosmos had music by Vangelis.

Well, I watched the episode with a 13 year old girl and when the animation ended she asked" Why was the church such jerks?" So whether they intended it or not to be church-bashing, I think it came off that way to a lot of people. Also, and this is really nitpicky, but when he was tied to the stake and they thrust the crucifix in his face, he turned aside which I thought was lame and undercut the idea that you could be religious and scientific.

Weak effort. 3 out of 10. A blot on Tyson’s escutcheon.

Damn, I’m glad I’m not the only one who saw that!

I’m trying to think of a better word than “explosion” that is appropriate for a general audience. Super duper inflation? Mega rapid expansion? Nope, got nothing and it appears neither does the OP.

I didn’t mind the commercials. I always use the nine o’clock hour to get ready for bedtime, so the commercials allowed me get stuff done without missing anything.

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the Bruno animation because it was so herky-jerky and surreal. And I loved that it was church-bashy. The church did and has always held back science. I thought the segment was a good way of showing how narrow-minded it is allow tradition to define the truth.

In the context of the normal Sunday night Fox programming, this debut was outstanding. And I think it should be applauded, no matter how dumbed down for the masses it appears to be. Maybe it will restore some of the IQ points that Family Guy detracts.

yeah but if it was on PBS it wouldn’t reach the pleb masses who need it most

maybe when the hicks see this on FOX instead of NASCAR or football or something this will finally be the thing that convinces them to stop living in ignorance

To be fair to your 13 year old, the church really were “jerks” through most of history. Not that any other contemporary organizations looked much better.

I watched the original Cosmos and loved it, but seriously, there were some major flaws there, including far too much lingering on Sagan’s profile.

Unfortunately, I missed most of the first episode, but what I saw didn’t bother me in the least.

Get over your nostalgia. Give NDT the opportunity to inspire the next generation, the same way Carl Sagan inspired ours.

The Bruno animation was a little lengthy but, okay. I prefer it to casting cheesy actors.

The animated cave paintings though? All I could do was yell “SHOW US REAL CAVE PAINTINGS!”