Cosmos (TV series) was great. Other science shows you would recommend?

My 13 year old son and I watched all the episodes of Cosmos: A Personal Voyage (Sagan) and Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Tyson). Both were great.

I am looking for recommendations on other science-themed series.

Not on broadcast TV*, but I really recommend the VSauce and Veritasium channels on YouTube. Also CodysLab, which is quite amateur in terms of production, but very sciency in content.

*I have a Roku, so I think of them as TV channels now.

I highly recommend James Burke’s series – Connections and The Day the Universe Changed were both on public TV. He followed up with Connections[sup]2[/sup] and Connections[sup]3[/sup] on The Learning Channel (back when it really WAS a “Learning Channel”). All highly interesting takes on scientific and technical progress. They’re all available on DVD, although pricey (a local library here has them for lending). I don’t know if anyone is streaming them. There were companion books for the two PBS series, and material from the TLC series made it into a couple of other books he wrote. He also did a year of Connections-like columns for Scientific American that were later gathered into a single volume and published as Circles.

It’s technology, rather than science, but I reciommend the British series The Secret Life of Machines, which ran on the Discovery and Learning Channel here in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Machines

He might enjoy the *Connections *series by James Burke. Fascinating view of how one discovery triggers both other discoveries and social changes in unexpected ways.

ETA: Dammit, Cal, you beat me again!

“Edge of the Universe”. and, “The Real Death Star” both on Netflix.

Off the top of my head, the long-running PBS series Nova. History Detectives (both US and UK versions.)

The Ring of Truth.

(More to come when I google up titles for more vague memories.)

Sorry, I don’t mean "both US and UK versions for History Detectives, that has only a US version. I’m thinking of the US and UK versions of TIme Team.

Australia, the First 4 Billion Years.

Your Inner Fish.

There are other recent series I’m thinking of, but am having trouble remembering the names.

PBS’s “NOVA” is consistently good, occasionally great, covering a wide-ranging array of scientific subjects.

I’m quite partial to Brian Cox’s BBC shows - the “Wonders of…” series: the Solar System, the Universe & Life and alsoHuman Universe andForces of Nature..

BBC Science shows in general are awesome. There’s Horizon, which covers an enormous range of topics (and has a lot of reciprocation with the aforementioned Nova), although many feel it’s been a bit too dumbed-down the last decade. Then there’s Attenborough, of course.

With a 13 y.o., I also would think some of the BBC science ‘casual’ shows might be good - Dara Ó Briain’s Science Club, for instance.

Didn’t notice that the son was 13. He might enjoy 3-2-1 Contact, both for the science content and to laugh about the cheesy 1970s/1980s look of it. Or for similar reasons, how about classic episodes of The Electric Company, which starred Morgan Freeman and Spiderman?

Seconded. Lots of good stuff on that show.

Speaking of Morgan Freeman, what was the science series he narrated? “Through the Wormhole”? I think it was on The Science Channel or something similar.

I second both of these. Ever notice how evangelists don’t talk about the “missing link” anymore? It’s because of the research these people do (and the shows that broadcast the wonderful information).

I’ve been trying to remember (and Google up) the name of a series that was on PBS in 2014 or 2015 that was maybe 3 or 4 episodes and IIRC was about extremes in miniaturization and in measuring short times and such. Had a section on how nanoparticles make the colors in stained glass, and one on Bose-Einstein condensates, maybe. I think the host was the guy who sounds like Ron Howard. It was good even though I do remember it so vaguely. Anyone remember that one?

Sure they do, they just use different words: “micro-evolution” is OK: species can change minor cosmetic aspects of themselves, but “macro-evolution” – the former “missing link” of species change – is clearly ridiculous because “God Says No” ™.

Yes, it was called Through the Wormhole.

Nice bit of typecasting :slight_smile: on the first episode:

Through the Wormhole didn’t really work for me - I think, subconsciously, I’m aware Freeman is just an actor (in fact, this feels like stunt casting) and that doesn’t work for me the way Sagan, de Grasse Tyson and Cox do. Hell, even Dara O’Brian has a science degree. I’m more than OK with non-scientists doing nature shows, it seems (see: Attenborough), but it somehow rankles with cosmic/general science. Weird hangup.

The Beginning and End of the Universe, a 2-part series available on Netflix, was quite good.

VSauce is awesome. Updates nowhere near often enough, though.