Cotton Bed Linens (How hard could this be?)

The bed is 8.80MM by 1.92MM

Told you it would be a funny metric size.

I thought M = meters, MM = millimeters. Neither of those makes sense for the size bed you’re describing! What does MM stand for in these measurements?

Paul - I was unaware that you were leaving Saudi and moving back to the US. Is there a MPSIMS thread explaining your decision, what you plan to do, etc.?

Oh, BTW - if you were seeing a lot of sheets labeled “percale” and thinking they weren’t cotton, they are.

If your issue was just finding white ones, yeah, that’s gotten a bit harder.

You people who just go up a size or whatever - I assume that you’re using two flat sheets instead of a flat and a fitted? :confused: I’ve tried it and it always comes loose.

when someone reccommended that he take a tape measure to bed with him, I expected a penile lengh joke, but no joke is forthcomming. I’m disappointed in all of you

Ikea’s English-language catalogue for Saudi Arabia lists mattresses starting at dimensions of 90 cm x 200 cm. (pages 166 and 167) The UK Ikea site lists mattresses with lengths of 200 cm and widths of 80 cm, 90 cm, 140 cm, 160 cm, and 180 cm. And maybe some other sizes I haven’t seen. The US Ikea site says its “twin” mattresses are 97 cm wide and 189 cm long.

A standard US twin is apparently 39" (99 cm) wide and 75" (190 cm) long, with a twin XL being 39" (99 cm) wide and 80" (203 cm) long.

Yep, definitely best to go with flat sheets.

Hmm. I think “percale” is often a cotton/polyester blend.

In fact, my bed is from IKEA. The standard issue bed was messing up my back.

In any case, the cotton sheets are on order and will soon be at my brother’s house. Thank you all for the help.

As for me, this is just my semiannual migration to North America. Four weeks in the Baltimore/DC megaplex and then a week in Guadalajara. I will tease real estate agents as I look for a retirement place. Great fun.

As for me, this is just my semiannual migration to North America. Four weeks in the Baltimore/DC megaplex and then a week in Guadalajara.

Welcome Back! :smiley:

My understanding was that it referred to the weave of a cotton sheet, but upon googling it appears to indeed refer to the weave and can be either cotton or cotton/poly. I’m sorry to have spread a bit of ignorance there.

But you do want percale as opposed to, say, satin weave, regardless of your fabric, for sturdiness and longevity.

No all in all, white cotton sheets are a small luxury, one I can afford and one that enjoy a great deal. One of life’s little pleasures.