Could pet food transmit Mad Cow disease?

I know that certain parts of slaughtered cows aren’t supposed to be used in human food, as they can transmit Mad Cow disease. My question is, can those discarded parts find their way into pet food? For example, a box of dog biscuits lists “meat and corn meal” (mmmm!!), which I’m guessing includes anything left over at the bottom of the vat after all the “good” parts are taken.

Yes, the precautions arent taken(may be in some countries) however it’s rare & you can get other, more common diseases from petfood.
I try to leave it alone.

Honestly, I can’t see why not. There is a host of bacteria already known to infest pet foods.

Pet food is not usually made from healthy animals slaughtered just for that purpose. According to thissite:

That’s not the only problem. Avoid any foods preserved with BHA or BHT or ethoxyquin. This site, claims:

Here is a page of studies done on various chemicals found in pet foods.
A lot of foods also contain penobarbital, the chemical used to put animals “to sleep.” (The animals used in the feed are killed with this drug, and traces wind up in the feed.) After a while, this chemical can build up in your pet’s system, and if you ever had to put your animal down, the traces already in his system could cause him to suffer.

Oops! Hit post too soon.

This site is an environmental site which claims that the pet food mad cow contamination has already popped up in Europe. (As to the veracity, due to the bias, I make no claims.)

This site says that cats in England have been diagnosed with a mad cow like disease, but that no dogs have been effected, and that there have been no cases in the US. (This site is also biased, as it is from a pet food manufacturer.)

A few other sites I checked out verified that there had been reported cases in Eupopean cats. However, since we do not import beef from th U.K, there are myriad assurances that US pets are safe from mad cow infestation. (At least until mad cow crops up in the US.)