Couldn't be hotter

From ages 7-12, I lived in a home with central air. Sheer bliss.
At age 12, Maw and Paw Kettle, in order to accomodate our ever-larger family, built a significant addition onto the house (2 new bedrooms, 2 new downstairs rooms). This made the house too large for the central heat/air to work effectively, so a second, smaller central heat/air unit was added to take care of the addition.

Then Dad decided to tighten the belt. To save money, only the second central air unit was turned on. Oddly enough, their bedroom was in the addition.

Mine was at the opposite side of the house. And, because we had so much freaking central air, we didn’t own any fans.

These days, I don’t believe in A/C; it has teased me too much in the past. I believe in high-powered fans and nail-guns to pin down anything less than 50 pounds in my room.

Sua

well, its currently 90F in beautiful, never-too-hot never-too-cold central cali. Uh huh. the nights get down below freezing, and right now I would KILL to be a nudist on an iceberg.

oh hush, I know I’m whining…but I can’t help it!!!

…when I say that, here in DC, we kept the house closed last night because it was too cool outside to open it up.

Yup, in the DC burbs - specifically, southern Maryland - at the end of July, we kept the windows shut to stay warm.

With any luck, the board should shut down just in time to keep you guys from lynching me right here in the middle of MPSIMS. :smiley:

We had the windows open in Northern VA last night. I normally sleep under a sheet in summer but last night I knew I was going to be chilly so I found my bedspread. I was still chilly with the sheet and bedspread so I got a blanket too! BTW: I normally sleep with a fan on to drown out any unwanted noises.

Hey, more power to ya (hehehe) if that’s what you like. Me, I’d hate it. I like seasons… especially winter. The more snow the better. Mmmm… winter…

So, dlgirl, how you doin’? And when are you going to introduce me to these wonderful parents of yours?

We finally got our AC back on! I came in very early yesterday (5:45 instead of 7:45) so I could work for four hours then go home to meet the AC tech. When I got up at 4:15, the outside temp was 83°! And had gone down nearly 10° when I got to work. It’s currently 101 in downtown DC with a heat index of 109. We should get a break in the weather tomorrow night.

Holy chocolate! My power bill last month was $28. And that was high because my sister was staying with us! …maybe heat isn’t so bad after all.

Hey Rosebud, I hear ya. I live on the Upper West Side, and I got downright nailed by the power outage. But some friends of mine had it even worse. This girl I know was so desperate she soaked her sheets in icewater before going to bed. Then I was living in a 5th floor walkup, and the bedroom was loft-style and set into a black tar roof. The heat was delirious.

MR