Couldn't be hotter

Ah yes, I wistfully remember wandering down the strip in Los Vegas the temperature was a balmy 102 and providing I stayed out of those fridges they call hotels all was good with the world.
Sorry, I am part lizard and it’s the middle of winter here, but you are welcome to keep your humidity, we have plenty of that here already.

Britt
PS I often have the heater on as soon as the temperature reaches a cold 20 Celsius (approx 72 F)

Hey, Flint Dopers.

I have working central air. And a pool. (4’ deep only, but an adult human can get in and wet all over. Shush sickos.)

If you bring meat I’ll let you grill it and hang out in my house. (Actually, I’d probably let you hang out anyway. Chocolate, beef jerky and real Coke are also acceptable bribes.)

But you have to be nice to my mom and tolerant of my cats.

(People in my o chem class think I’m nuts as I have been wearing full length pants. Then I explain the temp in my house won’t let milk spoil.)

It’s barely 65 here in the North of England.

Move. Just move. Humans are not meant to bear such weather.

Temperatures and dewpoints have finally returned to the normal range in DC . . . :frowning:

It’s a chilly 70 degrees in my house. But, before you gather the villagers together to storm the house, last month’s power bill was over $400. :eek:

Well, we have central air, but Mr. Cranky is belt-tightening so setting the thermostat as low as 78 is a special occasion.

It had been cooling off at night so we could open up the house and get some air moving, but the last two nights it simply stayed hot and muggy. Uuuuuuuuugh.

My basement is nice and cool, but unfinished. It does have a bed down there, so I may sleep there tonight if this continues.

Perhaps you and Mr. Cranky could both go down into the basement and pretend you’re huddling together in a bomb shelter, snuggling for warmth as you begin your mission of repopulating the new world!

Or…you could kill silverfish.

jarbaby

This would be a great idea, but I don’t feel like granting a lay to the guy who’s been keeping the house miserably toasty for the last few nights.

You wanna play with these bazongas, honey? Set the thermostat to something that will make the nipples pucker!

I grew up in Arizona. I remember a day in Phoenix that was 122. I remember being 8 months pregnant in August in Tucson when it was 111 outside and 103 inside (we only had a swamp cooler, no AC at that house) and keep in mind that July/August is the rainy season in Arizona, so it was humid on top of that. I remember seeing a news story of a 6 year old girl that fell on the pavement and got 2nd degree burns from it. I’ve actually cooked eggs on the sidewalk. I’ve had $300 electric bills for a 2 bedroom APARTMENT.

I hate summer. I hate heat. I moved from AZ 4 years ago (we call it “escape” actually) and I’d never move anywhere hotter than where I live now, though I’d gladly move colder.

If it gets above 70 I turn on the AC. Seriously. I prefer the AC set at 68 but we have it at 70 to save money. Winter is where it’s at… I LOVE winter. Winter winter winter! Snow snow snow! GIMME GIMME GIMME!

Today we set up a $12 6’ kiddie pool in the back yard. All three of us got in. It felt goooood.

I feel your pain. I live here in the middle of “Hotlanta”, GA. Tends to be about 100 Degrees here with about 95% Humididty.

[sob]
I wanna go back north
[/sob]

A joke from my parish priest:

How do you find Arizonans in Hell? Look for people with blankets and hot chocolate.

It’s pretty hot here in Chandler, AZ. Today it was about 106 degrees with humidity. The monsoon season came early(around June 1st) and so it has been a pretty humid summer for this desert community. The weather people tell you it’s not humid, but you know it’s humid when you step outside and are bathed in sweat. Oh, and that nice breeze that could burn your skin right off? I think it comes straight from hell. Swimming doesn’t help because the water is at body temperature. What the hell use is that? I want to be cooled off, not just float around in a tub. And it doesn’t cool off at night, so no opening of the windows. The one thing that I do like though, is that in the northern part of the state, where it is much cooler, my parents have a cabin where I can wear my jeans at night. And there is cold rain. Aaaaaahhh. How delightful.

Of course, I don’t really know the weather because I stay indoors most of the time. Why should I battle the weather when it is cooler inside? :smiley:

Jarbaby, sticky, sticky, sticky. Just don’t sit down or you will find yourself attached to a chair.

Vegas is a lot like Phoenix. I am sorry.

OpalCat, I remember that day. Yuck. I like it here when it is winter, but when the summer comes around I want out of here.

Tyklfe, yuck. I am sooo sorry that you have humidity that high. When I went to Florida in June, I thought I would die. You could move here, but why would you? You would have to be closer to me. ::shudder:::slight_smile:

Oh why, oh why do we put ourselves through such things? Do we like torture?

Que viva Nuevo Mexico; la tierra encantada. It’s not just desert you know - we got mountains too. And at a mile high, it’s dry in the daytime and cool at night.

Hubby and I lived in Tennessee for 3-1/2 years. Miserable muggy heat. You could only work outside until about 10:00 a.m.

After moving back to Michigan, we don’t complain about the heat anymore.

The issue I have is that almost anywhere we went in TN, the a/c was set to just above Nipple Pucker [sub]thanks, Cranky[/sub], and trust me, they did. Dang, people, you don’t need to recreate November in Michigan in your house! Brr, turn that a/c down/up (whatever)!

dlgirl, I’m right around the corner from you in Ahwatukee. I love it. This has been a great summer, so far. Just a couple real scorchers. (106 isn’t so bad - I won’t turn the A/C on until it hits triple digits.) But I just love the people who, when you tell them how hot it is where you are, respond with the done-to-death “Yeah, but it’s a dry heat.” Well, so’s a flippin’ blowtorch.

But I’d rather live here than just about anywhere else. I don’t miss the Ohio winters I grew up in. The way I look at it - in Ohio, you stay inside in the winter. In Arizona, you stay inside during the summer. And it’s easier to drive in the heat than in the snow. Gotta have water in the car, though - just in case.

However… our A/C went out a couple weeks ago. Anticipating a long delay getting an HVAC guy out there (it went out on a Friday evening), we immediately ran to Home Depot and got a window unit, figuring that at least the family room would be cool. Saturday, we lived in that room. Sunday, the hubby went up on the roof (early morning, before it got real hot out) to see what he could do with it. Turned out to be a burned out wire - took him five minutes to fix it. :rolleyes:

It’s about 70 here on the lower left coast. Pretty nice. Of course sometimes we have to endure spikes up to 75. And then there’s the winters, when the thermometer plunges to a bone-chilling 60.

(Mean, I know. But Californians have taken a lot of crap these past few months.)

True to form, we’re expecting another cold front today and highs around 80º for tomorrow and the weekend. It’s currently 86º in downtown DC and 81 at National. The AC is out in our condo, it keeps tripping the breaker for some reason. At least we’re not on the top floor so being without AC isn’t much of a problem.

Am I the only guy who is disappointed that JarbabyJ didn’t start this thread about him.
Here in NYC this summer hasn’t been so bad. The last three days were pretty bad though. I have the bottom floor/basement apartment. No central air but I do have the boiler room with the Huge Hot Water Heater in a little room that is basically cut out of my apartment.

So the winter is great. When I come home in the winter I have to change into shorts and a t-shirt and the heat is free.

But the summer. blea

It gets so hot that the room I keep the computer in is unbearable. I can’t move the computer so when it gets hot here I can’t use the computer.

Now that is suffering people!

Hey, describe your breaker box.

One is it a breaker or fuse box.

Two is it those screw in type fuses? I’m pretty sure those are still available.

And now it’s back to feeling like late spring or early fall again. This has been the most amazing summer!

But, truth be told, I love this place when it’s hot and muggy all summer, too. :slight_smile: