Covid Related: Canadian soldier pleads guilty to two counts of prejudice to good order and discipline

While in uniform, released video criticizing mandatory Covid vaccines for serving military. Will likely be dismissed from the reserves.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I’m doing enough head-shaking these days to get whiplash.

Or being Canada, one week of half-rations of poutine.

Excuse my ignorance - this is some sort of punishment, right? As we just don’t have this sort of thing in the UK (or at least, not in the same way, so far as I am aware) - what are the consequences? Loss of stipend, pension, medical care, something like that?

j

I don’t have much knowledge of Canadian military structure, but we have other posters who do.

But yes, my understanding is that if you’re in the reserves, you get ongoing training and get paid for participating in regular sessions. Beyond that, I’m unsure.

So I would expect he’s lost some income over this. Don’t know if there are any additional benefits; maybe excluded from future contributions to a military pension for the lost reserve work?

He’s lost a part time job.

Also, I moved this to the quarantine zone.

The maximum punishment is listed as dismissal with disgrace, which sounds like it would be similar to a dishonorable discharge. (I couldn’t find much on dismissal with disgrace, but a lot of dishonorable discharge info popped up, so I’m guessing they might be similar.) That’s a pretty big deal. Much worse than just losing a part time job.

Oh, I saw that he was dismissed, I missed that it was “with disgrace”. Yeah, that’s shameful, even if it doesn’t have material consequences.

If it’s similar to dishonorable discharge, there are lots of material consequences.

ETA: he hasn’t been sentenced yet, so it’s as yet unknown if he’ll get the maximum panalty.

Thanks for the link - very interesting.

j

As mentioned upthread, the court martial hasn’t yet ruled on sentence. In another article, defence was asking for a conditional discharge or a fine.

I went looking for info on « dismissal with disgrace ». It’s one of the sentences set out in the National Defence Act:

So it’s a serious sentence, potentially including jail time, although it doesn’t sound like the prosecutor is asking for that in this case.

The guy is apparently currently employed in a federal public service job, so dismissal with disgrace presumably means he loses his job.

Thanks. Wasn’t sure if this would be caught by the « no politics » rule for Quarantine Zone, so treated it as breaking news / MPSIMS.

Forgot to include link to the Queen’s Regs and Orders, which supplement the provisions of the National Defence Act:

Court-martial has ruled: Gave him a fine of $4,000 and a severe reprimand, which is one of the punishments listed in the Queen’s Regs & Orders. I assume that means he gets to keep his current job with the RCMP, and is not drummed out of the Reserves.

Aside: Are those now King’s Regs and Orders? Or is it based on who the monarch was at the last time they were revised?

This.

Titles to statutes and regs need to be updated, so a legislative amendment is necessary.

There are provisions in the Interpretation Acts of each jurisdiction that say that references in a statute or reg to “the Queen” automatically include a reference to “the King”, so those don’t need to be amended, but titles are different and need an amendment.

Given that the next two in line are both male, once the titles are amended, the issue won’t come up again for a long time, unless something bad happens to little Prince George.

Been a loooong time since I wore the uniform, but they made it very clear that the service took a very dim view of being seen in uniform at any sort of protest or demonstration.

Side question, do they ever slow walk these changes when it looks like it will come up again soon?

It comes up so rarely that I don’t think there is a pattern. Since Confederation, there have only been three gender changes with new monarchs:

1901: from Queen Victoria to Edward VII, who was followed by three kings (George V, Edward VIII, George VI)

1952: from King George VI to Queen Elizabeth II

2023: from Queen Elizabeth II to King Charles III

I wonder what it costs for reprinting everything plus all the new stationary? Is there a Court of King’s Bench in Saskatchewan?

This was addressed in another of the Queen / King transition threads. They simply use up the old stuff before getting new. A small amount of stuff, e.g. Her Majesty’s personal notecards, are trhash of course, but the bulk of the governmental bureaucracy just keeps pressing on with the old until attrition finishes it off.

I imagine as the monarch gets older there’s some effort by at least some forward-thinking supply agencies to taper down how much back stock they pre-order in advance of need. But the total cost of all that is still a small drop in the large bucket of total government expenditure.